Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1991 ,H, Cavalier 2.0 gli auto hatchback. Engine code C20NE (8V)
I am the third owner according to the V5 although effectively I am the second owner as the car was a company car which was then given as a present to the gentleman I purchased the car from on his retirement.
It has been my car since February 1998 and is always garaged.
It has covered approximately 79,600 miles. It has a full service history with documentary evidence. The engine oil and oil filter is changed every 3-4 months with semi-synthetic 10w40, the air filter, brake fluid and automatic transmission fluid is changed annually, coolant changed every 2-3 years. A new ECU was fitted in 2002.
The bodywork-Glacier White-still gleams and has no dents or scratches. It has also been Waxoyled by me. The charcoal interior is spotless. It is standard bar a Janspeed stainless steel backbox and colour coded mirrors. It has a set of nearly new Goodyear tyres.
It drives extremely well and the autobox changes gear both upwards and downwards very smoothly and does not ‘tick’ when idling.
Everything works – electric windows/mirrors/aerial etc.
There is one fault however, the sunroof only tilts and no longer slides but I will try and repair the fault.
Although this is an old car in the eyes of the general public much care and attention has been lavished on it over its life.
I feel like a change, possibly a V6 …..
What is it worth?

Thank-you in advance for your opinions and sorry for such a long post.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Hard to say. Its what someone is wiling to pay.You can pick a good auto up for £5-600 but if its as good as you say could go for more.

·
Premium Member
1,752 Posts
Although this is an old car in the eyes of the general public much care and attention has been lavished on it over its life.
I feel like a change, possibly a V6 …..
I know exactly how you feel, having lavished attention on a 1994 Cav 2.0 Hatchback CDX Auto with all the goodies including leather seats.

I'm afraid £600 is about right.

Someone will get a bargain.

On the other hand, if you get a V6 like mine, you'll be in seventh heaven.

Good luck! :D

·
surfin lobster
1,092 Posts
From reading this & few other of your posts you should really be considering keeping your current car IMO. Sounds like its a really nice, well looked after example. And could you really imagine selling it with the knowledge that its probably not going to be treated in the same way that you've cared for it over the years? And finding a replacement in the same condition with the same history could be difficult. Changed your mind yet?!

Thats the problem I have with selling my old Cavalier. A difficult decison that I've made & one that I'm not sure I'm entirely happy with but nonetheless I could always buy it back if I do regret selling it. My car doesn't sound quite as good as yours TBH but it is quite exceptional for its age. I've owned mine since 2000 and its now done over 171,000 miles & running well so theres still plenty of life left in yours!

Mine has been pampered too and I've made a point of keeping the revs under 2000rpm until the engine is warmed up & maintaining a FDSH.

Your starting when warm problem (if not fixed already) could be the ICV (see silver cylinderical item above fuel injection rail). Might need cleaned out & lubricated, see the How2 on this. Could also be the air mass sensor - electrical part of the airbox.

My car seems to have the reverse of this problem, it starts slightly to eagerly. I like the engine to churn over on the starter for a second or two before firing so as to get the oil circulating, particularly on a cold engine.

Regarding getting a V6, they are good cars & feel very different to drive in all areas. Fuel economy is pretty poor in comparision to the NE but the autobox does change into overdrive at 55mph as opposed to about 65/70mph that you'll currently be used to. At 70mph the revs are nearer 2500 in the auto IIRC. My mum has one as her second car you see.

Anyway, best of luck with whatever course of action you decide to take.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
.....I've made a point of keeping the revs under 2000rpm until the engine is warmed up.....
I'm relieved that it isn't just me that does this !
Your right in saying that it is a very difficult decision. I'm still undecided and am certain that I will miss the old Cav if it is sold.
I just wish I had more space as I couldn't bear to sell the car I had prior to the Cavalier (mk1 Golf) which I still have. My wife thinks that there's something wrong with me .......
What a dilemma !
Your advice is greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2,524 Posts
I've made a point of keeping the revs under 2000rpm until the engine is warmed up.
Ahh just like me too...I make a point of keeping the revvs under about 6000rpm until it has warmed up...:bananasmi

1 - 9 of 9 Posts