Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I have a customers RHD Cascada in the workshop, it is being imported to here in Spain, unfortunately the headlights cannot be switched to LHD roads and new LHD versions have to be purchased and fitted at a cost of 1045.42 EUROS!! The LHD versions can be swapped to RHD from the dashboard computer, so much for EU standardisation eh?

Anyway to the rear fog lights, normally this is just a matter of telling the CANBUS to power the left side but there are no LEDs fitted to allow the fog lamp to be shown on the left side of the car instead of the UK right side! Don't start me off about the EU being fair for all member states!! Noting the cost of the front lights I decided to remove the rear lamps and fit my own LED's sounds easy enough right? I then find on the Cascada the chrome strip runs across the light unit, so having removed all the 8mm nuts I find the lamp and chrome strip assembly moves and is reasonably loose but I cannot remove it completely, it 'feels' as if the chrome and light assembly are bonded together, and then the lamps held perhaps by clips to the boot lid.

It is probably a matter of pulling hard enough to release some alignment clips but I do not want to get too heavy handed and damage a customers car, any idea how to remove the lamp assembly?

regards

Dave

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
OK. like all good forum members, when you find the answer to a post you have put up then let people know.

First, the outer lower corner of each lamp assembly is held in place by a round clip, after removing the visible nuts on the inside, if you lift the light assembly and look in from below you can see the clip, a gently pry with a wide screwdriver and the lamp assembly moves away from the body, it is similar to a lot of headlamp assemblies with a ball and socket affair. Next, the chrome strip is clipped to the rear light cover however, I could hear all sorts of creaking as I pulled at it, I decided to remove the other few nuts and lift the entire assembly, that is both rear lights connected together with the chrome strip and boot release button, be careful but it can be done without any damage from prying. laid it on a towel on the workbench and it is easier to work with.

The next thing is the light cluster, if you have anything other than a reverse light or indicator bulb blow expect to shell out for a complete new rear light cluster, there are three torx screws that appear to hold the inner and outer lamp sections together but I think that is for reinforcing only as the front and rear parts appear to be bonded together. So a LED brake or side light goes out and you MAY end up forking out for the whole lot. I can see no way of separating them apart from perhaps heating the glue, but then you may find the LED side and brake light inner components are not sold separately? You may think you could just wire in a bulb but that will not work either as the CANBUS detects a rear light error. I came across this when trying to wire in a fog light bulb, as the resistance is wrong it flagged an error.

I am about to go and solder in a triple LED cluster in the fog light area and hopefully this should work without upsetting the super unnecessary electronics.

Get back to you,

regards

Dave

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK to update and close this thread.

The three LED's were not bright enough however I cut a small hole in the lower edge below the fog light, then fitted a 21 watt bulb. I am unable to fit a bulb holder as there is simply no room, so soldered the wires to the bulb, the while affair is sealed using a glue gun to keep out moisture, works great. I will leave as is for the present to comply with the matriculation process. In the meantime I will order some ultra bright LEDs to fit at a later date.

I got away with a bulb as the fog lights did not show on the CANBUS, a little odd but hey it works for me.

regards

Dave

·
Premium Member
981 Posts
Ummm . . . . on mine both sides light up . . . . Or did I miss understand you?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts