Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2.0L Carlton CDX with a 1991 reg is being lazy it won't start.
When turning the ignition key it gives a brief sound as if the bendix is stuck but I've been told by a fellow enthusiast
that its probably the solenoid rather than anything else. The other problem which puzzles me is that when I take the key out of the ignition a message (fault code) continues to show. So even though the ignition has been disconnected an error message displays and eventually this has led to a flat battery.

I have my own thoughts about this but I welcome any input from other members.

·
Worn Out Member
6,223 Posts
ignition switches are prone to breaking up internally on these,so could be leaving the ignition live,
starter relays are sometimes problematic,you could try bridging it to see if it cranks ok

Reactions: andy_v

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply Andy_v at the moment I'm leaving it to the local garage and their contact electrician to sort out hopefully, thats when I can get it booked in.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Carlton's been to the local garage and the jobs been done. Would you believe that the simple task of booking the car in and them fetching it created a problem. When the garage owner turned up at my door some three days later, after I'd been phoning them daily, he told me that he'd been given the wrong phone number and thats why the car hadn't been picked up earlier. Well it seems that they've made up for this failing by towing the Carlton into the garage later in the afternoon and returning it early the next morning. They have charged me for fitting another starter motor and a new ignition switch, both supplied by me and the car started straight away when I tried it. So maybe there is a light at the end of the tunnel, I'll see when I take it for a trial run. Lets hope so.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts