Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, got my carlton up and running, except the 2nd owner i think took out the multi-changer, front speakers and cd player.

I cant find any shops which sell adaptors (speaker mounts) to fit 17cm speakers into the door panel, the rear is easy, its just the front where the problem is.

Also, thir isnt a wiring harness, it is a load of wires going into a long block connector lol heres a image http://www.thefxcenter.com/newcarimg/original/17.JPG

Any help would be appriciated :up:

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
If you have a door with a speaker aperture, you will be able to use an adaptor.
I realise they don't make them for Carltons, but if you remove the door card and do some investigation, you'll find one that fits from a newer car.
If the door panel is angled, like the Omega, Corsa ones fit. If it's flat, like (I believe) Vectras, use those.
They sell them in Halfords. Go and view them and see which will fit.
Also remember, you can 'modify' your door panel to get them in.
Failing that, make them from 18mm MDF. They're just rings.

L

·
0 Posts
Can you take a closer picture?
It does look like the mounts are already there.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Well, the aperture's big enough. Is the mounting surface vertical?
As long as you've got a flat surface around the aperture to mount the adaptor, it should be OK.
What's that black thing around the aperture?

Next thing to consider is depth. You'll need about 55-65mm from mounting surface to window glass. (Window down, obviously). That's for component speakers. For 'custom fit', you'll need less.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well the car at the moment is at the garage having the abs light problem fixed, so i cant look at it right now, i think the mounting area for the speakers is flat, i am not sure what the black thing is i assume thats why "laidbacvk66" asked if their was alreadt speaker mounts in 1 of the doors!

if worse comes to worse i assume i can create a frame out of mdfbuild if up so its deep aenough for the mangnet, whats the best glue if i have to use this option? peferably i want to dampen using silicone.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
I'm not sure if those will work or not.
As I said before, you need to look at the speaker mounting location and see if it's vertical. If not, you'll probably need angled adaptors like mine. (Did you look at the photo?). Angled adaptors are difficult to make from MDF.
If the mounting surface is vertical, you can make your own adaptors.

They are simply rings, jig-sawed from 18mm (usually) MDF. Cut the inner circle first and sit the speaker in the hole to check for size.
Then cut the outer circle about 15mm from the edge of the hole to make a ring. You can chop it about to fit.

You have to remember that the door card needs to fit over the lot, so some 3-dimensional imagination is needed!

The black ring on your car is foam gasket, I think.

Best glue on wood is PVA.

Adaptors should be sealed to door with silicon sealant. Speakers should have gasket under them.

Use several layers of flashing tape on door skin behind speaker if you can.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Forgot to ask. What speakers are they?
And, don't fit the speakers until the silicon sealant has 'gone off' or the rubber surrounds may perish. (You can buy non corrosive sealant if you can't wait).

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
So they are custom fit. That makes things easier. They will not be too deep and can be driven from the headunit.
You may be able to screw them straight onto the black foam ring without adaptors.

Edit. Let us know how they sound.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
right i got a trial pair from a mate, basic Kenwood 10cm jobby and well their not gonna fit directly in as theirs a peice of metal in the way!

PIC 1
Pic 1

as you can see in the picture below, the screw hole layouts, any idea on what mounts i need from that or will it end up being MDF?

Pic 2

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
That's the window guide.
They will need adaptors. Flat ones from Halfords.

The adaptor will have three screw holes arranged one at the top and two at the bottom, like you have there. There is also a locating lug at the bottom of the adaptor which locates in the hole in the door metal. Actually, mine didn't locate, so I sawed it off!

Those speakers have seen better days! And they're 17cm aren't they?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i think their 10cm 4" ones, but their not the ones i will be using they were just trial ones, i have sony xlod 17cm ones that i want to put in their, i will pop into halford today if i have time! Got to watch F1 you see

1 - 19 of 19 Posts