Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Thanks for your help in the past, just thought i would run this by someone before i go pulling bits apart. Had the problem for years but has got worse last year or so. Checked the tracking many times, all the garages say the same thing....'cos you got power steering, mate' is the standard reply.

I have a Calton 2.6 dual ram (was the dual ram fitted to all the 2.6's ?) ex police 140,000 miles, bad wear on very edge of (front) tyres only, passenger side wears a little faster than drivers, rest of tyre is great but outside edge has now just hit the thread yet the rest of the tyre has 2-3 mm left.

I have got under there & everything looks good, the only play i can see seems to be in the steering rack. So will replace this as a starting point. I suspect there may be some issues with various bushes after 140 K but nothing other than the paly in the rack is evident to me.

I reckon someone out there will have seen or heard of this problem, if you have any comments or suggestions, they will be very much appreciated.

Cheers, Mike

·
Another Dead CDX
767 Posts
Its yer power steering mate ... what a load of old dogs knacks , have a closer look at bottom arm bushes , roll bar links bottom ball joints , track rod ends , basically all steering and suspension components including the rack if you think it may be worn , but for someone to say its always yer power steering is talking out of theyre ass...

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have had this problem with my Senny, Vx dealer say's it's a charactaristic of the design. But I know my local VX. dealer know's next to nothing about Senny's and Carly's. They are just a waste of time, It's just like pissing in the wind talking to them. So I tried the local garage, he had a good look at the problem and suggested changeing the rubbers in the lower wish bones. So I did and the tracking has been spot on ever since. About Three years ago now. hope this helps. Colin..........

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
Well, let's get one or two things straight before we go any further!!!

The Carlton does NOT have a steering rack, it has a steering BOX!!

The steering idler won't paticularly affect the tracking - play in this item is rather like play in the box.

The tracking could have too much 'toe-in'. (Too much toe-in will cause wear on the outside of the tyres & too much toe-out will wear the inside of the tyres). As the tubular adjusters for the track rods usually rust up solid on the Carlton, a lot of garages will tell you that the tracking is ok rather than have the hassle of trying to free them off!

The camber angle setting relies on the 'grip' of the two large bolts at the bottom of the strut. If these have ever been un-done for any work on the front suspension, then the camber angle will be 'out', which could cause your trouble. Although I haven't had the trouble myself, I gather that these bolts can 'let go' their grip & cause the camber to drift.....a member of one of the 'well known' six pot VX clubs makes & sells a special metal wedge to stop this from happening, so I'm told.

Last, but by no means least, do as others have said above & check ball-joints & bushes etc. (I say check these things last as you say you've had this problem for years, so as long as it's had a proper & 'genuine' MOT test each year then these items SHOULD have been checked by the tester & would have 'failed' if they were faulty).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you all for your input. I will get back underneath the car at the weekend and check out all the bushes again to be sure.

Mad dog & Searider, i thought that they were talking BS, especially as everyone that said it and was further questioned spouted more BS.

Jaybooze, I have been underneath while on stand, and tried to check for play in the various places i can see that there may be some. I would like to hear your method of checking steering idler arm bush so i can give it a double check, thanks.

Haydnm, Is the camber setting something can only be done with certain equipment i.e. at a garage, much like the tracking?

HMK, Thanks for the concise reply. I suspected they may not have checked the tracking properly so i stayed with them one time and had the fella explain how it works and i saw that the tracking was within tolerance. I think the camber setting needs further investigation, as you suggest, before i start pulling it to bits, is this a garage job?

All the best, Mike

Anyone had problems with driving offences or banks/other consumer issues? have a look at www.pepipoo.com for driving (I just got my brother off a speeding ticket & claimed 700 quid in costs using the info there) or if you have been hit with bank charges i.e. returned cheques, returned DD's etc, it was unlawful and you can get your money back (I got back 250 quids of charges, over the phone, for the last 6 yrs and am investigating reclaiming all the way back to 1994) see http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
Just rock the jacked up nearside front wheel from side to side.If there is much wear you will get wheel movement and a clonking noise from the idler arm and you will see the play there.
Its possible to replace this bush,I cant remember where I saw how to do this.Vx dont sell it, its available via Ebay from Germany. The complete idler arm is available from VX about £70 I think. I believe its the same as an Omega part.
I will try and find the details for you.It could be on the Autobahnstormers site,Total Carlton or even on this site.
Wear on the idler arm causes tramlining and pulling to the left,especially with oversize wheels and tyres. Jerry

·
Registered
28 Posts
The wear

Hi All,

Thanks for your help in the past, just thought i would run this by someone before i go pulling bits apart. Had the problem for years but has got worse last year or so. Checked the tracking many times, all the garages say the same thing....'cos you got power steering, mate' is the standard reply.

I have a Calton 2.6 dual ram (was the dual ram fitted to all the 2.6's ?) ex police 140,000 miles, bad wear on very edge of (front) tyres only, passenger side wears a little faster than drivers, rest of tyre is great but outside edge has now just hit the thread yet the rest of the tyre has 2-3 mm left.

I have got under there & everything looks good, the only play i can see seems to be in the steering rack. So will replace this as a starting point. I suspect there may be some issues with various bushes after 140 K but nothing other than the paly in the rack is evident to me.

I reckon someone out there will have seen or heard of this problem, if you have any comments or suggestions, they will be very much appreciated.

Cheers, Mike
A few questions?
1:- Is the outside of the NSF worn more than the outside of the OSF
2:- Is the wear patten smooth or sharp
3:- Does the car pull (not drift) to the left?
4:- Does the car 'tram-line' wander as you drive?

·
Registered
73 Posts
yeah to get the camber checked you will need to find a good reputable garage with the required equipment not to many places have it
but like its said before i work in a garage and carlton's omegas and such to have tubes on the track rod ends and these do rust up bad so alot of garages will tell you its ok rather than have the grief of desiezing it
best bet is to get it checked and ask to see the readings on the gauges for yourself,if you go down that road and want to know what readings on the gauges to be looking for then your welcome to pm me and i'll talk you through what you will be looking at.
one more if you've got wear on both tyres then unlikley that a single suspension bush will be to blame as this will wear one side not both at the same time as the front suspension is an indipendant set up

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.