Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
you're BARRED.
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone got any experience of using it?

been building a track car, heard that carbon fibre would be good for things like doorcards..

never really used it before, has anyone else?

·
15,300 Posts
Door cards are easy enough as you can just buy a sheet of carbon and cut to suit.
Anything else that you cant buy done already in carbon has to have a mold made, and that is the expensive bit!
Then it has to be baked in an autoclave etc etc

·
**VxON Photographer of the year 2008***
4,289 Posts
why would you want doorcards in a track day car?

you just dont have any doorcard at all, no roof lining, no carpet, no handles or anything, the whole point is to get rid of unnecessary weight.

carbon fibre comes into its own on track cars for things like bonnets, bootlids, roof panels, etc. things that are very heavy sections of sheet metal in an ordinary car.

in fact getting your bonnet changed to carbon fibre and your boot, would likely save some 40 kilos on the car.

·
Premium Member
4,028 Posts
anyone got any experience of using it?

been building a track car, heard that carbon fibre would be good for things like doorcards..

never really used it before, has anyone else?
Speak to Mark. Will be a bit of a journey for ya, but there's a company in Cornwall that do carbon fibre moulding - they did his Cav turbo and did a good job of it too. Think he should still have the number. :Cool2:

·
you're BARRED.
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
why would you want doorcards in a track day car?

you just dont have any doorcard at all, no roof lining, no carpet, no handles or anything, the whole point is to get rid of unnecessary weight.

carbon fibre comes into its own on track cars for things like bonnets, bootlids, roof panels, etc. things that are very heavy sections of sheet metal in an ordinary car.

in fact getting your bonnet changed to carbon fibre and your boot, would likely save some 40 kilos on the car.
because underneath door cards you have all manner of sharp edges that could do you some serious damage if you crashed.

·
you're BARRED.
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have done a course on how to use carbon fibre. its a fantastic medium to work with but unless you have a vacum pump and oven its really hard to get a smooth finish. i did some door cards for a mate beetle.....took me ages to get them perfect. but i can do alloy a damn site quicker.
hmm.... alloy...

:)

·
Premium Member
2,998 Posts
My mate races a rover 220 turbo and he's used aluminium sheet and cut it to shape,proberbly cheaper than carbon too.

·
I dont fear the Reaper, Reaper fears me
6,869 Posts
i personally would go for Ally aswell .
Light weight, cheap n cheerful . not going to break in big shunt .
May cut ur head off, altho Carbon will to .

·
you're BARRED.
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
1 - 11 of 11 Posts