Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, right this car is f***ing me off now :grrr It's fine idling gets to about the 90mark and i left it sitting like that for a good 30-45mins. I then started revving it up to about 3k then letting it drop then doing it again, the temp shot up to about 100 and then i shut the engine off and went round to the front under the bonnet, had a look around and the water tank (with cap on) water had risen from the line where it was before turning car on. So i undone the cap slowly and there was no hissing like there is suppose to be but the water started to over flow :think There was no pressure in the top hose at all when the engine was running but it was hot, didn't check the bottom, should of done. The heaters aren't blowing out hot air either, they did a little over cold when it was at around 90 in temp but nothing like it's suppose to be. The thermostat is fine because i checked that yesterday and hot water went through it fine. Really need this sorted it's taking the piss now tbh. Any advice on whats wrong or what to try? I've tried flushing it, done that yesterday to no avil. Please Help :(

·
I refuse to grow up.
16,114 Posts
100 degrees indicated temperature isnt overheating, modern systems are pressurised allowing the coolant to reach a goo 10 degrees above boiling point before it actually boils. Most cooling fans cut in about 95 to 100 degrees however have to remember the coolant gauge is only a rough indicator a 5 degree tolerance would be amazingly precise.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What about the lack of no pressure in the top hose though? And the fact when i opened the water cap water started gushing out?

·
Premium Member
1,709 Posts
Well there must be pressure there the fact the water gushed out when you opened the cap.
As long as steam is not gushing from beneath the bonnet of your car it is not overheating!

The only other thought is the impeller on the water pump is partially broken so the coolant is not circulating as much as it should do.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I had a similar problem to yours with an old rover, i spent hundreds getting it looked at and getting the head gasket done and still the same problem. It turned out to be a fualty coolant cap, thats why it was not pressurising the system. Have a look at yours and if it doesnt look right then replace it

·
Registered
40 Posts
I had a similar problem to yours with an old rover, i spent hundreds getting it looked at and getting the head gasket done and still the same problem. It turned out to be a fualty coolant cap, thats why it was not pressurising the system. Have a look at yours and if it doesnt look right then replace it

1 - 6 of 6 Posts