Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
So I have a Vauxhall Astra MK4 G, 1.6 but it's only an 8 valve. I've recently done a radiator flush and put in new coolant. However the car still gets up to over 80deg C, the needle is in the middle, when only been in slight traffic.... It's beginning to worry me. Should I look to change the water pump / radiator ( I think the thermostat is okay) - what about changing any fans etc...? Are there any performance radiators for the Astra G?

Thanks for your help...
By the way, no fault codes of any kind...

Danny.

·
Foldy roll
2001 Vauxhall Vectra SRi150 2.2 16V hatchback
16,230 Posts
I wouldn't worry at 80 degrees
Our vec b runs at 85, as does the astra h iirc.
The skoda (and previous golf and passat) settles at 90.

And, in this weather, it gets there in less than a mile.

Thermostats don't open until 80 to 90 degrees anyway

·
Premium Member
Astra K 1.4t (150) auto SRI NAV
17,114 Posts
In the middle with your temp gauge sounds normal for that engine. Sounds like your thermo is working as it should, as it's a pain to change anyway, as the timing belt needs to come off to do so. As I well know, previously owning one.
Not forgetting it's summer now too, so it'll warm up faster.
The 1.6 8v is a nice engine if looked after.

·
Super Moderator
28,197 Posts
My car takes no time at all to warm up in this weather at the moment.
Half on the gauge is about right.
These new cars without a temp gauge, what were they thinking.
You don’t really need a temperature gauge , I’ve had 6 motors without temperature gauges & never had any issues. Trouble with gauges is that drivers think that they can rely on the gauge to tell them of a problem that’s about to start , wrong !!! Your weekly checks still have to be done every week & are your best chance of spotting a failure coming down the pipe.

·
Premium Member
1,722 Posts
The middle of the gauge is the normal operating temperature, so you have nothing to worry about.

The 8 valve engine tends to suffer with a stuck open thermostat causing over cooling, so in the cold weather it never gets to the centre of the gauge unless sitting in traffic.

·
Premium Member
1,722 Posts
You don’t really need a temperature gauge , I’ve had 6 motors without temperature gauges & never had any issues. Trouble with gauges is that drivers think that they can rely on the gauge to tell them of a problem that’s about to start , wrong !!! Your weekly checks still have to be done every week & are your best chance of spotting a failure coming down the pipe.
I disagree, there is reason manufactures have been fitting temperature gauges since the car was invented! You’ve just been lucky as modern cars tend to be more reliable.

If there is a problem with the cooling fan for example the gauge will tell you before it gets to boiling point unlike a warning light.

·
Foldy roll
2001 Vauxhall Vectra SRi150 2.2 16V hatchback
16,230 Posts
I disagree there is reason manufactures have been fitting temperature gauges since the car was invented! You’ve just been lucky as modern cars tend to be more reliable.

If there is a problem with cooling fan for example the gauge will tell you before it gets to boiling point unlike a warning light.
On the VAG PD engines (not sure if it applies to others, I think it might be the same in the Mk1 Octy vRS), the temperature gauge is an excellent indication of the health of the stat and coolant temp sensor. If it moves or doesn't settle bang on 90 there's an issue.
Temperature-wise it's not remotely accurate (that can be accessed via the Climatronic) but that doesn't matter as long as it's stable on 90.

·
Premium Member
17,114 Posts
I once did a HG on an 8v Punto, blew due to engine overheating, no temp gauge, by the time the dash warning light came on, I then stopped ASAP. By then it was too late, damage was already done.
Personally I like a temp gauge too. Have on on my K. As I like watching it warm up very quickly (within 1-2 miles), compared to my previous diesel:ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
2008 Astra Twintop 1.8
472 Posts
I once did a HG on an 8v Punto, blew due to engine overheating, no temp gauge, by the time the dash warning light came on, I then stopped ASAP. By then it was too late, damage was already done.
Personally I like a temp gauge too. Have on on my K. As I like watching it warm up very quickly (within 1-2 miles), compared to my previous diesel:ROFLMAO:
I've lost count of the amount of HGs I changed on Fiat engines.

·
VXON's middle-aged lesbian.
29,555 Posts
I disagree, there is reason manufactures have been fitting temperature gauges since the car was invented! You’ve just been lucky as modern cars tend to be more reliable.

If there is a problem with the cooling fan for example the gauge will tell you before it gets to boiling point unlike a warning light.
This.

My Astra VXR didn't have a gauge,.......one of the many reasons I sold the car.

·
Premium Member
17,114 Posts
I've lost count of the amount of HGs I changed on Fiat engines.
I've only ever changed two on my own cars, one on an Uno and one a Punto. Didn't even have to skim the head.
An airlock had caused the HG failure on the Punto, having no temp gauge didn't help.

·
Registered
2008 Astra Twintop 1.8
472 Posts
I had 2 Unos, both with the 1.0 FIRE engine and both had the HGs done at least once, I also had a 1.1 FIRE in a Punto that went and about 6 months later it went again while on the motorway. That was a fun trip home!
It didn't show any of the normal signs of HG failure though and after checking literally everything else including removing the exhaust to check for a blocked cat, I finally removed the head to find a hole I could fit my thumb through in the gasket between cylinders 3 and 4. 😐

Not had a Fiat since.

·
Super Moderator
28,197 Posts

Many manufacturers don’t agree though , the wife’s Mini Countryman doesn’t have a temperature guage nor does our new £38,000 Renault Minibus. My old Astra h did 250,000 miles with no temperature guage over 13 years , never caused an issue.

·
Registered
Z12XE / Z19DT / B16DTH
392 Posts
I wouldn't worry until there's steam escaping from the bonnet and it's visible :ROFLMAO: On a sidenote, the wifes 2018 Astra K 1.6CDTi has a temperature guage? has GM reintroduced the guage as standard?

·
Premium Member
1,147 Posts
It's all personal choice, I personally would want a temp gauge.

As mentioned, if you spot the gauge rising you can stop driving probably before serious damage occurs.
I had a car once and the water pipe went that was right at the back of the bulkhead, there wasn't any steam obviously but I noticed the gauge shoot up.

Newer cars probably beep or a light comes on.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts