·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.
I have vauxhall Nova 1389cc,engine-14NV,year-1990,
manual transmission(5 gears).
All of the sudden,without any warning,the gearshift lever
refused to shift,as normal,to 1,2 and 5 gears,while reverse gear is tottaly dissapeared.
3 and 4 gears are shifting smoothly.
In principle,i can move the gearshift lever into the reverse position(push the gearshift lever down,left and forward)the lever get there,but the car is driving forward like it is in 1 gear and not in reverse.
The lever doesn't shift to 1 gear location at all,so i start my driving while the lever is in reverse position(which drive me forward as i described)shifting to the 2 gear is possible only from the reverse position,while,must say,it doesn't move to there easly at all and i can't bring the 3 or 4 gears back to the second gear.
5 gear doesn't shift at all.
What can be the problem.
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,295 Posts
Hi.
I have vauxhall Nova 1389cc,engine-14NV,year-1990,
manual transmission(5 gears).
All of the sudden,without any warning,the gearshift lever
refused to shift,as normal,to 1,2 and 5 gears,while reverse gear is tottaly dissapeared.
3 and 4 gears are shifting smoothly.
In principle,i can move the gearshift lever into the reverse position(push the gearshift lever down,left and forward)the lever get there,but the car is driving forward like it is in 1 gear and not in reverse.
The lever doesn't shift to 1 gear location at all,so i start my driving while the lever is in reverse position(which drive me forward as i described)shifting to the 2 gear is possible only from the reverse position,while,must say,it doesn't move to there easly at all and i can't bring the 3 or 4 gears back to the second gear.
5 gear doesn't shift at all.
What can be the problem.
Thanks.
Engine off does it select gears perfectly?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,295 Posts
Hi Grant.
When engine is off the situation is the same.
Have you tried to check the linkage cables?

If you go into the engine bay and remove parts to get to the gear selector on the gearbox, if you try and move the selector by hand in to gears, does it move in to gears freely?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
16,226 Posts
Sounds like one of the link bars come off the gearbox selector. It happens alot on Costa's. Have a look in the engine bay and see if anythings hanging off or not connected.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
gearbox selector.png

Sounds like one of the link bars come off the gearbox selector
If a link bars come off the gearbox selector,can it cause the car drive forward when the
gearshift lever is,actually,in reverse position(as i described before)?
if you try and move the selector by hand in to gears, does it move in to gears freely?
Did you refered to the part in the photo?
In what way should i move the selector?what part in the photo should i move?

·
Premium Member
16,226 Posts
If part number 9 comes off you can usually only get some gears. 3 and 4 from memory. Check the rods connected both ends.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay,thanks marks.
I will need to find a free day to deal with that issue
and i will report the results.
Thanks.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Today,i started to search the issue.I was hopping to find the selector rod(number 9 at photo)
comes off,but it wasn't,so i didn't know really what to look for.I didn't see anything comes off.
So i play with the selector while i am under the hood.The selector mechanism seems to be loose,but i don't know how much is considered to be too loose.Under the hood,i grasped and moved the mechanism,i managed to shift the selector to 3,4 and 5 gears(while in driving i can shift only 3 and 4 but not 5).1,2 and reverse i couldn't shift under the car hood,maybe if i give more power and someone was press the clutch pedal i could shift them,so i don't really know if it can be shift or not to those gears by hand).besides that the 3 and 4 gears were always shift smoothly compare to the 1 and 2,so maybe there is a connection between my results.Anyway,while in driving,i can use 1 gear and 2 gear,but in the special conditions that i mentioned before and while i don't have a reverse.
What should i do next?

·
Premium Member
16,226 Posts
Sounds like the the gear selector mechanism on top of the gearbox is worn out.

·
Premium Member
16,226 Posts
You can get rebuild kits.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sounds like the the gear selector mechanism on top of the gearbox is worn out.
Do you refer to the parts in the attached photo.

I would like to mention several points,maybe it will help to find the cause:
*While i am driving,shifting the gearshift lever to reverse gives me 1 gear.
*2 gear i can shift only from 1 gear.
*when i am driving i can shift to 3 and 4 smoothly.
*when i move the gearshift lever to 5 gear,it feels like it was shifted to 5 gear,but light touch on the lever revealed that the lever is actually on 3 gear and there is a playing between 3 and 5 positions of the shift gear lever.but under the bonnet i can move manually the selector to 5 gear.
Is my description add any light of the issue?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No it looks like this.
You said"...on top of the gearbox..."so,I thought you refered to the part that enters inside the top of the gearbox(my last photo).
Okay,we are still talking about the same part.
Before i will make a decision about purchase a replacement i would like to rule out
other options that may cause this behavior of the gears.In the attached photo you may see
the gearshift lever and all its parts including the control rod with the ring,bush and boot.
Can i get the same behavior of the gears if one of these parts fails?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Anyone?
I will be more specific.What will be the symptoms if the bush or the ring(numbers 23+24)
will fail?what is their purpose?

·
13,332 Posts
23 and 24 are support bushes for the gear change rod 22.
They are unlikely to be causing your issue and you would be able to get the gears even if those bushes were missing.
Are those bushes fine on your vehicle.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi Koicarpkeeper.
I read an old post of one guy that also had the same problem and he said that the black ring(24)was broken into two pieces and when he put them back into place,the reverse came back to action.In my case,the black ring looks fine(as far i can see while removing the gaiter).
i don't know what is the condition of the bush(23)since i need to dismantle the housing for that,
and it doesn't very wise to dismantle things without justified reason.This is the reason that i ask for your help,to avoid dismantle things without real need.
It doesn't make sense for me,either,that the ring is what caused this guy to lose the reverse gear,so what actually may happens if those ring and bush fail?
BTW,i made an adjustment followed by haynes book and the 5 gear returned,
but the reverse are still missing.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hi.
When i was checking the gear shift linkage,i could see that the gear shift selector lever rod
(number 9 in the attached photo)is connected in both sides.But,may it be that the problem
is actually,from this rod even that the rod wasn't pop-out either sides?and replace that rod will solve the issue?or as long as one of the edges of this rod doesn't pop-out from the metal ball there won't be any issue from this part?
Thanks.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts