Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone after some help please. I have removed my rear wheel, and taken out the torx screw from the drum, but I just can seem to be able to get the drum off.
Am I doing something wrong ?
Will my van have brake pads or brake shoes ?
Are these easy to replace ?
If there is any tutorials or any help would be very much appreciated, as I started to get smoke coming from back brake today so I stopped driving the van.
All help would be much appreciated.
Thank you

·
Premium Member
1,866 Posts
as you said van has drums so will have shoes,the drum will most prob have a lip and that is stopping it from coming off,so you need to go to the hand break lever and slacken off the 10mm nut for the hand brake.then use a hammer to tap the drum to help it to come off some times the shoes get jammed and stop the drum coming off and the shoe fitting kit will let go, have this all the time at work just takes time some drums have a inspection hole at the rear of drum to deadjust the shoes,and some times you can deadjust by doing it via the drum bolt hole.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
as you said van has drums so will have shoes,the drum will most prob have a lip and that is stopping it from coming off,so you need to go to the hand break lever and slacken off the 10mm nut for the hand brake.then use a hammer to tap the drum to help it to come off some times the shoes get jammed and stop the drum coming off and the shoe fitting kit will let go, have this all the time at work just takes time some drums have a inspection hole at the rear of drum to deadjust the shoes,and some times you can deadjust by doing it via the drum bolt hole.
Once I manage to get the drum off are the rear brake shoes easy to fit ?

·
Premium Member
11,107 Posts
Not 100% sure here but make sure the drum actually comes off over the hub and you don't have to remove the hub nut to pull the drum with the bearing, also a mistake people make is they leave the handbrake on so make sure it is off before you try to remove, once you get the drum off take a photo so you can use it as a reference when refitting, get yourself a dust mask ( the brake dust can be bad for you) and a can of Brake Cleaner to clean the drum, springs and backing plate and inside of the drum.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I discovered my problem, 1 of the pins that come through the back and through a spring and held in place with a retaining cup has come off. Do you know if you can buy the pin and retaining cup.
Thank you

·
13,336 Posts
Yes, they are known as "hold down" kits.

·
Premium Member
11,107 Posts
Many thanks for your help, pop into Vauxhall tomorrow and hopefully they cant get me them
Try EuroCarParts you may have to buy the full kt which will include new springs as well.

That happened to my first car Chevette, it was having its MOT and the tester did it wouldn't test the car, he said the car may get stuck on the lift so he couldn't test for the rest of the day, even though he did it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Try EuroCarParts you may have to buy the full kt which will include new springs as well.

That happened to my first car Chevette, it was having its MOT and the tester did it wouldn't test the car, he said the car may get stuck on the lift so he couldn't test for the rest of the day, even though he did it.
Thanks for your reply.
If I buy new shoes for the rear of my combo van, will the hold down kit come with them ?

·
13,336 Posts
Not normally, no.

·
Premium Member
2,338 Posts
Your local motor factors would normally have all you need in stock, or can get them quickly.
You really need to get a full spring kit, and a set of brake shoes.
Make sure the handbrake cables are free (it makes sense to change these while you have the brakes apart, if they are sticking).
Finally, remove any lip on the inside edge of the brake drum before you put the drums back on, in case you need to get the drums off again in the near future.

Reactions: andy_v
1 - 11 of 11 Posts