Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
heres one to baffle you all, well i hope not :bust: my cav td seems to start ok but when you try and put your foot down when stationary or moving it really struggles and cuts out, the aa being as good as they are one said it was just the fuel filter that needed replacing so i done that and cleaned out the ness pipes etc.
but still didnt work so had another bloke come out this time he said it was the turbo, the gases are building up and not being released or something so its suffocating the engine does this sound right? :shame:

not sure if its anything to do with it but say about a week and a half ago i had a right blonde moment and put some oil additive in the petrol tank (yes i know thought it was low smoke stuff) :cool: so dropped the fuel tank cleaned out as much as poss the tank pipes from the the filler cap place and put some injector cleaner in it to help it along. well all was going fine for about 700 hundred miles then the prob above happened is this related or something diff any help would be great as need car on road asap!!

thanx alot guys and girls :cry:

·
8v Power!
10,748 Posts
could be glogged somehwher, might be worth flushing the whole system. and new filters.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Could be a collapsed backbox ( this hapened to mine )

Could still be fuel restriction

Could be dirty / duff injectors

How many miles have you up on it

Have you checked that the timing is right

How much oil does it use per 1000 miles

How much coolant does it use per 1000 miles

·
Registered
145 Posts
Could be the exaust. i had same prob with my v6 2 weeks ago wouldn't go over 3500rpm, found out that the Cat had colapsed. A made suggested drilling a hole in the cat to see if it released the pressure and it did so i drilled 3 holes and ran it like that till thee monday morning when i could get a new one. hope that helps:Cool2:

not saying you should but you could always drill a small hole in the exaust to see if you get say 2800 rpm then it would confirm the blokage and you could repare the hole with a fix from hellfrauds/change the offending section. just an idea.

mine reved fine below 3500 then as soon as i tryed to push the revs up it just seemed to hit "a wall" so to speak but at full throttle seemed to back off just a few hundred rpm. Also while driving lacked power completly i could only get to 3000rpm in 1st/2nd then didn't even have power to change to 3rd it just would not pull in 3rd

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well the coolant and oil levels are ok as far as i know the exhaust is good to, but what your saying sounds similiar hope thats all it is as im getting the turbo on mon just got to find out if its gm or isuzu engine apparantly but thanx anyway ppl great help i'll let u you!

·
Registered
122 Posts
put you had over the exhaust pipe and get someone to rev it. if it hisses and not much coming out then exhaust is blocked. don't drill holes just drop the front pipe and start it up.

·
A tired Vxon user
1,961 Posts
The turbo doesn't do anything unless your driving it. It wont kick in if your stationary no matter how hard you try to rev it.

Sounds like a blocked exhaust to me. I took my cat off a couple of weeks ago and smashed the internals out of it, only took about an hour.

Also as you've had the tank off, have you put all the hoses back on correclty?

·
Premium Member
7,262 Posts
sounds more like an air leak on the fuel feed to the injection pump to me , check all the pipes are tight & that the copper washers are clean where the pipes bolt onto the filter head .

·
Premium Member
7,262 Posts
forgot to add , if you are unsure of the air leak theory try taking the 2 fuel lines off where they connect to the diesel pump & connecting 2 bits of rubber pipe to the pump & dropping them into a can of diesel & then start it up to see if it will rev more freely

1 - 13 of 13 Posts