Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Zimmer GT for me!
Black, Astra 1.9 CDTI "Caravan" (apparently).
3,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The engine is an Isuzu 1.7 as per the Cav TD. So it seems to me that a conversion ought to be possible.
If so, what parts would I need to aquire to sort it? Any electronics or wiring needed?

I've been checking out this thread and have seen the pix posted by combodaz, but he hasn't answered a pm I sent so I thought I'd throw it open for advice. ;)

So it's,
Turbo and manifold obviously,
Some of the Cav exhaust ,
And some intake parts.
Oil supply for the turbo?
Adapting stuff is not too much of a problem, as I should be able to do some bits and pieces at work.
A huge roof spoiler and some 23" alloys.

·
Zimmer GT for me!
3,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
It seems that the 1.5 TD is an Isuzu engine as well. If the engine uses the same block and cylinder head as mine, maybe the turbo, exhaust and intake from one will go onto the 1.7
Need more experinced info here please guys.. ;)

·
Registered
104 Posts
It seems that the 1.5 TD is an Isuzu engine as well. If the engine uses the same block and cylinder head as mine, maybe the turbo, exhaust and intake from one will go onto the 1.7
Need more experinced info here please guys.. ;)

The only difference between the 1.5 turbo and 1.7 , they're both isuzu engines. But the 1.5 has a bigger cooling capacity, (only around 0.6 of a litre more) than the 1.7, and obviously the bore and stroke is smaller than the 1.7, but not by much, then the compression i think will need to be lowered in the cylinders, if i'm not mistaken, (i could be wrong), you'll need extra oil feed lines for the turbo, so adapter kits, new gaskets, and pressure oil feed lines will be needed, Then Turbo with manifold, heatsheilds, You'll need to take of the resonator chamber with the N/A air plenum and change it to the plenum with air pressure release valve, (releases unwanted air charge if air pressure becomes to high), Then you may have to alter the fuel injection pump (not too sure what to do with it here though), Anyone please feel free to correct me if i'm wrong, at any part, I thought i might cover the basics. Go easy on me! lol

·
Zimmer GT for me!
3,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Why not just get a full TD Car scrapper and swap the lot across?

I can see the logic, but I probably wouldn't get the turbo itself from a scrappy. I'd rather wait till I either get one from a VXONer or buy a recon one.
This probably won't be a winter project, as most of the work will have to be done in my parking space. But if I can get the parts together, I can maybe get it all done over a long weekend in April or May.
Hmm, the compression may be an issue, and will make the job longer. But I sorted Krusty the Astra's head gasket, so I guess I could do it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.