Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, i have been trying to sort out my flatspot on my mk3 cav since i bought the car and over time it is just getting worse, not better.
Here are the things that i have done so far:
1 - spark plugs
2 - leads
3 - distributor cap
4 - rotary arm
5 - coil
6 - air filter (replaced with a k&n)
7 - redex in the tank
8 - carb cleaner all done (sprayed in)
i am at a dead end and don't know where to turn next so any ideas would be appreciated, thankyou.:D

·
Registered
7 Posts
Your item #8 says 'carb...' so I take it your engine is fitted with a carburettor. What model carb?

In any event, try one or more of these areas: First, there might be a leak in one of the vacuum pipes. Second, check for a vacuum seal leak at any point around the carb and throttle body, expecially flanges. With the engine running, try spraying WD40 on those areas an area at a time. Whilst you're at it, do the same onto the inlet manifold flange. If engine speed increases, pin-point the area and take appropriate action. Lastly, you might have one or more jets partially blocked in the carb.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
31,467 Posts
Welcome to VxON, be sure to check your hoses (induction) for air leaks as mentioned above, this is a common cause of flat spots.

·
Premium Member
2,998 Posts
I'd guess its the peirburg 2e3 carb which can be a problem in itself especially as they get older as carbs do wear,I'd also check the timing and the thin vacuum pipe that comes from the map sensor to the inlet manifold.Also i had a h plate 1.8 carb and this had a management light and when this came on the car actually lost power exactly like an injection car.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions, for the questions on what sort my engine is i shall answer when my hubby gets home tonight, all i know is that it's an 8valve and it's only a single point injection :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.