Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

camshaft sensor fault???

3K views 24 replies 5 participants last post by  SteveW 
#1 ·
hey ppl need help plz!!!!

new camshaft sensor arrived to day so went to install and the eml isnt going out
and engine still has eratic idling when ticking over and when trying to rev it up it there is hesitation :(.
anything you can suggest would be most appreciated.

thanks in advance

p.s.
did paperclip test again and still comes up with camshaft sensor fault.

G
#6 ·
Having owned 2 ecotecs, I know all about sensors.... :shake
Recently changed a crank sensor, couple days later played up again.
Connections looked clean, but got a little screwdriver in them, and sprayed with WD40, and 3 weeks later still fault free.
So fingers crossed that will help you :Cool2:

#7 ·
new camshaft sensor arrived to day so went to install and the eml isnt going out
and engine still has eratic idling when ticking over and when trying to rev it up it there is hesitation :(.

Dale - I recently took my car to the local garage as I had an intermittent fault light due to engine knock (see my thread - turned out to need the throttle housing and gasket sorting) - when i offered the possibility of the timing belt slipping a tooth the mech said this would bring on the camshaft sensor permanently....maybe work checking as it may cause the other symptoms you discribe

#8 ·
having now checked all the wiring and cleaned all connection and the eml remains on :cry: and still says camshaft sensor fault when paperclip test is done. have checked the voltage from the wiring loom and is ok.

coud it be possible that my new camshaft sensor is a dud :think ???

has anyone had any problems with the lucas sensors that LMF vauxhall parts supply at all??

any other suggetstions or ideas most appreciated

ta in advance

#10 ·
Cam and crank sensors often go together causing either fault code 92 or 19.

Code 19 is crank sensor and 92 is cam sensor, but often the crank sensor can be the problem even if code 92 is present.

Oh, and don't clean contacts with WD40, it's an oil. Oil's an insulator - not really what you want for electrical contacts. Get a can of electrical contact/switch cleaner and do it properly ;)

One other thing, is your cambelt tensioned up OK? Could be that the belt is a little slack and maybe causing an issue. Probably not, but worth checking.

As an aside, when flushing fault codes from a Simtec ECU (Ecotec engine) you don't need the engine running. If code 19 is present it's because the ECU has logged a fault with crank sensor, not because engine isn't running (unlike the Motronic ECU fitted to the 20XE engines - this needs the engine running to read codes)

#13 ·
cheers for that oddity ill check timing marks tomorrow see what happens there

wheres your thred posted at by the way ?????

http://www.vauxhallownersnetwork.co.uk/showthread.php?t=100681

its actually still on the first page because after 6 weeks I finally (well hopefully) cured the poor performance problem by cleaning the throttle housing and renewing the gasket - the fault codes were no readable via the paperclip test but were intermittent knock on different cylinders. I don't think this is the same as your problem but its worth cleaning the housing every 15,000 miles anyway (at least on my car!) otherwise youget poor idle and performance due to the cam cover oil pipes blockin up the holes

#19 ·
Yeah, I just wish I had the CD itself just incase I ever have to rebuild my PC. :(

Someone installed it for me last year when I had major ECU problems with my old Cavalier - was invaluable for testing votalges and resistance throughout the loom and sensors etc.

#20 ·
well i think i may have finally sussed out the problem.

i have looked at the timing and consulted the trusty autodata cd, and i have discovered that cam 1&2 are set ok but 3&4 marks are set up in a way that they are reading when set 4&3 and as far as i can see it should read when looking at cams tm1 tm2 tm3 tm4 and not tm1 tm2 tm4 tm3 so hopefully once i get this all set up it should mean no more camsensor fault for me:bananasmi :bananasmi.

what i need to know though does anyone know if the cam sprockets are onto a taper or is it a dowel for locking to the cam??? any help most appreciated

#21 ·
have hired v6 locking tool from autovaux to reset the timing, should be here mon-tues so hopefully after that it should clear the cam sensor fault it has been showing and finally extinguish the eml once and for all and ill be thrashing around the countryside in the beast and having some fun for a change. will let you all know how it goes

#24 ·
YIPPPPPPPEEEEEEEEEEEEE:bananasmi :bananasmi :bananasmi :bananasmi i have loads of power again. set up all the timing even put in the old camshaft sensor and hey presto its purring like a kitten again and sounding like a v6 should sound like. took for a blast and was even more impressed with the performance it goes like :turd off a shovel!!!!! will let you know how the mot goes next

cheers heaps for all your usefull tips and suggestions vxon rocks !!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.