Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got round to changing my cambelt the other day and all was well till i got to the tensioner bolt for the cambelt which turned out to be chewed up. It's a 52 plate that i got with 38000 on it so you would imagine that it's only been changed once and it was a mobility car so it should of been done by a dealer. Not impressed:grrr
Next idea, just slide the new belt over the tensioner in same place, not ideal but better than old one snapping( it's done 50000 if it was changed or 90000 if it wasn't). Take off mounting and remove belt only to find new belt is 10 inches shorter than old one:grrr:grrr
I know belts stretch but 10 inches:shake

Point of post is how can i get that tensioner bolt out?????
It's the torx type bolt
I've accepted that i need a full kit now but i need to do it asap as things are whirring round by my belts, can hear them turning(roughly) if that makes any sense

Any help appreciated

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You know how the torx bit sits in the head of bolt yes. The teeth on the bolt have rounded off, been chewed with a ill fitting or badly worn torx in the past. There is just enough left to sit the bit in but as soon as you try any presure on it it just spins

·
VXon Frontera Monkey
9,886 Posts
Hi you need to use a very very sharp chisel on the edges of the head - these are only about 35 nm so shouldn't be very tight - new bolts come with kit as they are stretch bolts
cheers
Steve

·
Premium Member
5,763 Posts
Be very, very careful using the chisel method on these (We learnt the hard way). You don't say which engine is fitted but if the tensioner bolts onto the top of the oil pump then its very easy to break the casting off leaving you with a knackered oil pump aswell. Personally, if you have the room l would weld a nut onto the chewed bolt and undo it that way.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.