Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
..... as the title suggests, completed this exercise yesterday with the aid of a friend and ALL is good

Changed the roller, tensioner, belt and water pump and on the rebuild added new seals to everything that gets removed from the intake plenum down to the cylinder head

Bit tricky aligning the cams but we got it perfect (god knows how you would do this job without a locking kit :eh)

Any advice after doing this....
  • Take your time
  • Check, double check and then check again that everything is in line
  • Ensure the seal around the cam cover is fixed to the cam cover
  • Check everything is in line
  • Get a 30mm cranked spanner...
  • Oh, did I mention check everything is inline?
Its not a really hard job though, was surprised!

Thanks to all on here that advised, Geffd for supplying the full cambelt kit at a great price and most of all, my mate that gave up his Sunday to ditch his usual BMW's and help me out.... :beer:

:cool:
 

·
VXons resident Priest
Joined
·
3,965 Posts
sophos9 said:
..... as the title suggests, completed this exercise yesterday with the aid of a friend and ALL is good

Changed the roller, tensioner, belt and water pump and on the rebuild added new seals to everything that gets removed from the intake plenum down to the cylinder head

Bit tricky aligning the cams but we got it perfect (god knows how you would do this job without a locking kit :eh)

Any advice after doing this....
  • Take your time
  • Check, double check and then check again that everything is in line
  • Ensure the seal around the cam cover is fixed to the cam cover
  • Check everything is in line
  • Get a 30mm cranked spanner...
  • Oh, did I mention check everything is inline?
Its not a really hard job though, was surprised!

Thanks to all on here that advised and Geffd for supplying the full cambelt kit at a great price!

:cool:
If you've done it a few times over the years on various different engines without the aid of a locking kit (experience I guess) then it really is a doddle.
But you are of course correct in what you say, in that if you have little or no experience of changing cambelts, then for gawds sake LOCK IT UP!!:Cool2:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea, banks 1 & 2... quite common when the tensioner is not set correctly (think Geffd said that)

Any way, last change was at Vx so thanks Vauxhall :Cool2:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
666 Posts
Was the Cd any help? - although it was based on a front wheel drive


sophos9 said:
Yea, banks 1 & 2... quite common when the tensioner is not set correctly (think Geffd said that)

Any way, last change was at Vx so thanks Vauxhall :Cool2:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi

Thanks mate, it did help on a few parts....

Anyway, came out this morning, turned the engine over and heard a strange metallic rattle coming from the 'belt' area at about 750rpm.... Really felt sick and rang my friend who helped fit it and he said to spray some wd40 on the auxilery belt that we had replaced and......

Sorted!! It seemed to be the print on the outer belt causing a vibration as it passed over the water pump... Will get some emery cloth on it!

Still.. not a good noise after you have replaced the timing belt.. :cry:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
575 Posts
To be honest it doesn't sound right to me. New belts usually cure noises.

Are you sure all the pulleys for the aux belt are on tight?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
666 Posts
Its very easy to forget to tighten up the water pump pulley - as you put the aux belt on first - so double check & the power steering pump pulley.


sophos9 said:
Hi

Thanks mate, it did help on a few parts....

Anyway, came out this morning, turned the engine over and heard a strange metallic rattle coming from the 'belt' area at about 750rpm.... Really felt sick and rang my friend who helped fit it and he said to spray some wd40 on the auxilery belt that we had replaced and......

Sorted!! It seemed to be the print on the outer belt causing a vibration as it passed over the water pump... Will get some emery cloth on it!

Still.. not a good noise after you have replaced the timing belt.. :cry:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Cheers Geoff, will take a look but 99% sure they were tightened as I had to consult the good ole Haynes manual

The belt made the noise again from cold this morning, just 1 spray of WD40 on the belt and it went away....

Also.... After changing the belt, I may be paranoid but my MPG seems to be worse, struggling to get above 26mpg when I'm sure I used to hit around 28+mpg

The timing bank 1-2-3 was spot one, banks 4-5-6 very slightly (i mean very!) to the right if the timing tool....

Any one help?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Can I get some help on this....

Started the car today and heard a load kind of grinding sound coming from the top left of the aux belt, sprayed some WD40 on it and it dissappeared instantly... I'm 100% its the aux and not the cam belt

IS this going to be the aux tensioner?

Thanks loads!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
126 Posts
sophos9 said:
Can I get some help on this....

Started the car today and heard a load kind of grinding sound coming from the top left of the aux belt, sprayed some WD40 on it and it dissappeared instantly... I'm 100% its the aux and not the cam belt

IS this going to be the aux tensioner?

Thanks loads!!
I had a similar noise when I first started with new belts last weekend. In my case, I had overtightened the cam cover bolt (top left) and the timing belt was rubbing on the cover. I backed the bolt off a little and it stopped. Is your aux belt fouling the same cover?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
747 Posts
sophos9 said:
Has anyone else experienced this?
Yes, me.
when i changed cambelt and auiliary belt then it did the same thing on the first start and since. I even changed the aux belt tensioner but it is still there.
I suspect that it is due to the new aux belt being more tense as when new is not as streched as teh old one. It is now 16.000miles and still there rattling at 750rpm non existing below or above that. I suspect that it actually comes from the altenator.
 

·
Omega Tank Commander
Joined
·
7,722 Posts
If any of the aux system bearings are getting a bit stiff then its likely to keep applying a point load to the belt. I would expect the tensioner to twitch if this is the case,
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
747 Posts
Marks DTM Calib said:
If any of the aux system bearings are getting a bit stiff then its likely to keep applying a point load to the belt. I would expect the tensioner to twitch if this is the case,
Yes it actually does that and the noise initiates from alternator.
i might strip it and recondition it . I have neglected the poor thing since i bought the house (i'm fed up of decorating and stripping wallpapers).
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Cleared all the junk out of the way to check all bolts on all the pulleys, all are totally tight so am suspecting the tensioner

Snapped the bloody vacuum pipe of the black vacuum box... Can this be superglued back on with out any problems?
 
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Top