Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My folks went into Vx this morning and they had a sign on the wall stating cambelt changes were being changed form 40k/4ys to 30k/4yrs has anyone else seen anything similar.

They may have got it wrong you never know but just thought I would ask.

Does anyone know for definate if Vx have changed this interval.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
When I did mine two months ago Vx told me it as changed from 80k/8y to 40k/4y (that's for the newer models - the older ones were always 40k/4y). Don't know if Vx officially reduced it to 30k/4y, but from what i read here they have known to fail before the 40k/4y so it is not unreasonable to change at 30k. On the other hand the garage or Vx may be trying to cover their back side, so if your fails before the specified 40k then you have no comeback. But knwoing now what I didn't know before, I would go for the 30k. The difference is that I would not go over the 40k by one mile, I think it is fair to say that the 30k is a guideline but 31k is not a problem - otherwise we will all go mad with these cambelt/tensioner changes!

·
Premium Member
1,739 Posts
My handbook says 80k!!! But I'm intending to get mine done at 40k, if not before! I might add that it also appears to say service intervals are 20k! But the 'insp' light comes on at 10k! I think the best thing to do is to take the lowest figure!

·
Premium Member
1,739 Posts
I might add that all these undoubted problems with cambelts is progess I suppose. You know, the march of technology leading to enhanced reliability.

·
Premium Member
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Markjay Fair point about reducing the interval for covering there arses. Never thought of that

Just wanted to find out if this is official or not only mine has done 33k since last belt change and was planning on getting it done at 35k but if they have changed it I need to do it asap.

·
Registered
682 Posts
nixoro said:
Markjay Fair point about reducing the interval for covering there arses. Never thought of that

Just wanted to find out if this is official or not only mine has done 33k since last belt change and was planning on getting it done at 35k but if they have changed it I need to do it asap.
:eh Dealers short of work?

·
Premium Member
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
:eh Dealers short of work?
Auto Addict could well be the case you never know.

I thought the interval change might apply to the older model omegas only, due to the newer omegas using newer parts.

could be totally wrong was just wondering if anyone else had seen this sign aswell and if its official or not.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Having come across at least one owner who's cambelt snapped at 32,000 miles I'd say if your at least worried then change it at 30 ish, thats over three years for me :Cool2:, same owner bought a Laguna turbo diesel (new model)thats blown up four times :lmao:, latest news is as its just out of warranty, he's got a bill for £1,700.00 and he thought his omega was crap :lmao:

·
Premium Member
1,580 Posts
It would be interesting to do a survey of V6 belts that have failed.
I am sure a survey would reveal pulley or tensioner failure as the first culprit followed by contaminated belts.
Mechanically the V6 belt appears very heavy duty!

·
Registered
682 Posts
nixoro said:
My folks went into Vx this morning and they had a sign on the wall stating cambelt changes were being changed form 40k/4ys to 30k/4yrs has anyone else seen anything similar.

They may have got it wrong you never know but just thought I would ask.

Does anyone know for definate if Vx have changed this interval.
Just got back from the dealers - Cambelt is still 40k/4Yrs

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
From what I read, there are indeed several types of tensioners, they have been again and again modified since 1994 (though it seems that with all these modifications the original 40k/4y was never successfully bettered...), but Haynes also say that the most recent type can always be fitted even on the older models. Haynes goes only up to 1999, can someone (GeffD?) confirm if the most recent tensioner can still be retro-fitted to earlier engines?

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
apart from the early tenioner fitted upto 1996 (small with no belt guide)- the only difference is the casting the rollers are mounted on. but you can just swap the rollers over to the original casting as this part doesn't wear.
The belt changed a few times - but basically there are 2 types oh and a special one for saab 9-5 turbo (that will fit Vauxhalls can't remember what was different about it) but aftermarket belts gates/skf and so on have both markings on them so no problem there.

I used to test engines at full load full throttle for at least 50k at upto 6200 rpm- at the end of the test - the rollers started to loose a little grease, this is the start of the failure mode - then they start to make noise - then they let go!!!! but i never had one fail in 12 year of testing - and as it was a DC motor braking the engine (there are various types) I could drive the engine with the motor - to simulate going down hill - still never a fail. that is why when the engine came out in 1993 - they said it was a life long belt - big mistake, but under controlled conditions it was - give it to someone with a heavy right foot - like the police and it doesn't last that long.
I did a head gasket last year on a vectra V6 with over 100k on it - new belt had been fitted but the original rollers!!! they were leaking grease and were at the noisy stage but survived - its all about how it has been driven, so not easy for a company to state a given mileage because we don't all drive our cars in the same manner.
If I bought a second hand V6 - I wouldn't trust what the last owner has said about the belt & rollers changed (unless its me by the way - changed mine 500 miles ago!) I would have it changed for piece of mind. or just check them. if the belt is shiney & cracked with no markings on it - its very old change it - usually you see the rollers with grease coming out of them - when you take them off and spin them you can hear if the bearing is on its way out.

markjay said:
From what I read, there are indeed several types of tensioners, they have been again and again modified since 1994 (though it seems that with all these modifications the original 40k/4y was never successfully bettered...), but Haynes also say that the most recent type can always be fitted even on the older models. Haynes goes only up to 1999, can someone (GeffD?) confirm if the most recent tensioner can still be retro-fitted to earlier engines?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts