Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all
All this talk on threads of tensioners failing....worries me a bit
Does anyone know if vx change the belt and tensioners as a kit?
Just when I got my omega i took it to vx and asked em to change the cambelt....btw i wasnt paying for it....supplying dealer paid the bill, coz they didnt change it when i bought the car, then 42k miles.
Bill was £235 iirc......this seems a bit cheap by what other peeps have been charged for cambelt and tensioners change
So if i asked for cambelt change, would vx just done that or change the tensioners as well?
I still havent booked it in yet for an oil change...but must do that next week....i'll ask them then if they changed the tensioners, unless anyone knows for deff.
And b4 i get flack for taking it to vx for an oil change/filter.....its still under warranty and vx have to do it for the warranty to be valid....plus the Masterfit price for the job is £45, which aint too bad.

·
Premium Member
5,296 Posts
Taxi Driver said:
Hi all
Just when I got my omega i took it to vx and asked em to change the cambelt....btw i wasnt paying for it....supplying dealer paid the bill, coz they didnt change it when i bought the car, then 42k miles.
Bill was £235 iirc......this seems a bit cheap by what other peeps have been charged for cambelt and tensioners change
So if i asked for cambelt change, would vx just done that or change the tensioners as well?
I still havent booked it in yet for an oil change...but must do that next week....i'll ask them then if they changed the tensioners, unless anyone knows for deff.
And b4 i get flack for taking it to vx for an oil change/filter.....its still under warranty and vx have to do it for the warranty to be valid....plus the Masterfit price for the job is £45, which aint too bad.
i would of thought vaux would of changed it all, but if any douts ask them if they did change it, better to be safe than sorry

·
Premium Member
1,811 Posts
As far as I am aware when a garage - Vaux or otherwise - changes this they are aware it is a whole kit.... or the supplier would prod them in that direction when they ordered the parts....

..... but then again, if in doubt - check.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Simple. Ask them! Remember, assumption is the mother of all f*** ups. I would assume they haven't until I have it writing that they have.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
a. I had it done twice at Vx and they normally change both as a kit, but as RB said you should ask anyway

b. Price not unreasonable, I was quoted by Vx £260 if done during normal service, or £315 if done on it's own, and that's London prices which are typically 20% higher then the rest of the UK.

c. Nothing wrong with changing the oil at Vx, this is what I have been doing over the past 7 years... BUT you do not have to service the car at Vx for the warranty to be valid. There has been some new regulations intoduced around 3 years ago and now all you need to do is demonstrate that the car has been properly serviced by a competent garage/machanic and according to the manufacturer's schedule, but it does NOT have to be done at the main dealer.

Said that, obviously if you do go to Vx for servicing, it will save any questions/arguments and will allow you to get any warranty claims resolved quickly. But again this is a matter of choice.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies guys....i will ask them.
I am concerned a bit.....i know as my omega is still under warranty if the tensioners fail (if vx didnt change them) then hello mr vx put a new engine in there under warranty.....but its all still hassle.....plus i dont think they will pay for my lose of earnings while they have the car.....they might give me a lovley corsa as a loan car :turd but not a car i can use as a taxi.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
markjay said:
a. I had it done twice at Vx and they normally change both as a kit, but as RB said you should ask anyway

b. Price not unreasonable, I was quoted by Vx £260 if done during normal service, or £315 if done on it's own, and that's London prices which are typically 20% higher then the rest of the UK.

c. Nothing wrong with changing the oil at Vx, this is what I have been doing over the past 7 years... BUT you do not have to service the car at Vx for the warranty to be valid. There has been some new regulations intoduced around 3 years ago and now all you need to do is demonstrate that the car has been properly serviced by a competent garage/machanic and according to the manufacturer's schedule, but it does NOT have to be done at the main dealer.

Said that, obviously if you do go to Vx for servicing, it will save any questions/arguments and will allow you to get any warranty claims resolved quickly. But again this is a matter of choice.
Cheers for the reply..
Yours was £315 on its own....see what i mean..mine seems a bit cheap......if they did the whole lot. i'll have to ask them

As for the warranty.....i read in the service booklet.... that for the warranty still to be valid.....any work done on the car has to done by a vx approved garage....so basically they mean vx dealer only.

Once the meega is outa warranty i will be taking it to my local 'backstreet garage' that looks after my veccy and merc.....they know all my cars are used as taxi's.....and if any probs with them....they 'queue jump' them and get them back on the road again asap, which i reckon is great service :Cool2:

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Taxi Driver said:
As for the warranty.....i read in the service booklet.... that for the warranty still to be valid.....any work done on the car has to done by a vx approved garage....so basically they mean vx dealer only.
As I said I think it's not a bad idea to let vx do the service while the warranty lasts, makes warranty claims so much easier and hassle-free. BUT the law now says that car manufacturers can no longer insist that servicing is done only at dealers to validate warranty, so this over-rules what the Vx service book says.

This reminds me, Dell have special offers these days where they sell super-cheap computers for the likes of £299 etc, but when you call them up they tell you it only has 90 days warranty and they try to sell you an extended warranty for one year (which efectively brings the computer price up to normal market prices).

Well someone complained to a computer magazine that I am reading that all goods sold in the UK must have one year warranty by law - and Dell replied that the 90 days warranty 'does not affect your statuary rights'. So in other words - they are allowed to say '90 days' and try to sell you a warranty upgrade to one year, hoping you wont catch on to the fact that the cheap £299 offer actually includes one year warranty by law!!!

Car manufacturers are not happy to publish this fact!

·
Registered
131 Posts
They do change the belt and tensioners etc, complete kit for that price including labour £220 at the main agents.Phoned them up last week as my car will be due its 40000 mile service in 15000 miles thought I would test the ground, will be taking mine to them, not a bad price I thought, if anything goes wrong it will be there problem.

·
Premium Member
2,851 Posts
The previous turn when I rang around for quotes to get cambelt done, I had to specifically mention the tensioners, which generally knocked the price up by about £100. Theiving sods :(

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Especially so now that you've seen how easy the job really is Jamie!

·
Registered
353 Posts
Taxi Driver said:
Hi all
To the best of my knowledge E.C regulation has outlawed the practice of having to get the main dealer to work on warrented cars.Provided the garage you choose uses genuine original parts it is unlawful for the manufacturer to invalidate your warrenty

1 - 13 of 13 Posts