Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After the cam belt tensioner let go on my Cav SRI, I have now bought an eight year old 2.5 V6 Omega (and love it! :D ) with 58,000 on the clock.

Problem is I am now paranoid when it comes to the cam belt kit. The Omega has full main dealer service history and shows the cam belt etc was changed 18,000 miles ago in May 2003. Going by the 40,000 or 4-year rule of thumb, it should be changed next year.

Question is, should I wait until next year or get it changed now, just to be sure?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

R

·
0 Posts
NO

It is overdue for a change NOW!!!!!

I hate doing this but, DO NOT START THE ENGINE AGAIN!

Seems to be cambelt day on here. The ruling is 4 years OR 40k MAXIMUM. They do fail early as well. One guy has just wrecked hi engine 6 days before the cambelt was booked to be done.

Absolutely do not take a chance with this. You are on very borrowed time. 18k +40k = 58k! You are over the limit already.

Seriously, change that belt and tensioner now. Use minicabs or buses until it is done. Sod's law has been striking this week.

Oh, and welcome to vxON. I didn't norice it was your first post.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply!

Cam belt etc was actualy changed at 40,000 and it has done 18,000 since the change, but this is now about three years ago.

Still, I think I will get it changed asap anyway. Don't fancy another pile of scrap on the driveway!

L

·
0 Posts
I think Finlay needs to calm down a little. :)

If it is nearly 3yrs/18k since last receipted change, then you should be ok, but I would get it changed asap for peace of mind.

And welcome to the forum. :)

R

·
0 Posts
Sorry guys!!!! I just read it again and thought 'what a twat!' (me):D I totally misread that and thought it had been changed at 18k. Sorry for the panic, no harm done! I would rather panic you and not do any harm than tell you it is ok and let you wreck the engine.

Sorry again. I must read slower. (I will blame my medicine, although it isn't effecting me like that it sounds good).:boff

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No worries - better to panic and get it changed then go through the dual-carriageway breakdown, walk home, tow home and finally find out that 8 of 16 valves are bent routine I went through on the SRI.:cry:

Still, on the bright side the Omega is sooo much better ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts