Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so thought its probably best to replace my brake pads along with my slider pins and rubbers after recent problems. all seemed fine until I drove it and the brake bound up. On investigation found the callipers were not sliding so I have dismantled and refitted to find if I hand tighten the bolt that goes into the back of the slider pins they work fine but as soon as I ratchet them they stop sliding, for obvious reasons leaving hand tightened is not an option and I cant see that the pins would expand with the bolts in them so WTF is going on. The kits were purchased from autodoc/buycarpartsonline (same company). pins are identical to the ones removed but the issue is with both sides.

·
Premium Member
638 Posts
Hi mate

What car is it?

Not so sure they should be sliding once the caliper is tightened up to the disc? Once the pads start wearing down the piston depresses and releases the pads. The slider pins allow that movement and help to keep them aligned. As long as there is movement in the sliders when not attached to the car, everything will be fine.

My apologies if I've miss read the issue. I could be totally wrong.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi mate

What car is it?

Not so sure they should be sliding once the caliper is tightened up to the disc? Once the pads start wearing down the piston depresses and releases the pads. The slider pins allow that movement and help to keep them aligned. As long as there is movement in the sliders when not attached to the car, everything will be fine.

My apologies if I've miss read the issue. I could be totally wrong.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk
Hi Mart36

It is a Combo van 07 reg with the Lucas brake system, the sliding stops before I apply the calliper piston to the pad itself. I had the calliper piston pressed right back into the calliper body so there was a gap to play with. If you apply the brakes the pads sit on the disk and the wheels don't spin freely.

·
Premium Member
2,269 Posts
I assume you haven't filed the mating surface where the pins mount on the caliper?
If not, try putting your old slider pins back in, it sounds as if the new ones are machined wrongly on the end.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I assume you haven't filed the mating surface where the pins mount on the caliper?
If not, try putting your old slider pins back in, it sounds as if the new ones are machined wrongly on the end.
I was starting to wonder if that may be the case, luckily I still have the old ones with me as am currently stuck in London until its fixed, will try that out in the morning and will let you know how it goes

1 - 5 of 5 Posts