Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
i`m new on here i`ve got a mate who has a Calibra v6, he does not have internet access so because i love his car even though i`m a bit of a vw nut i have registered to ask a couple of questions, i love this car anyway!
to me it`s a stunning car it really does pull like a train and running costs wise it knocks the sh**e out of the vast majority of the competition including the Corrado.
But he has been told by a local garage that "the heads have gone" he knows nothing about cars and i mean nothing! he was quoted £900 to have a secondhand motor put in, which seems to be a bit like changing your car when the ashtrays full, why not just do the heads? or change the heads? is it a big job? awkward job? expensive job?
Are they prone to head gasket failure or do the heads crack?
if so can anyone recommend somwhere to get it fixed, near to
Burton - on - Trent or Derby
He was quoted that figure, the garage is less than 1/2 mile from our houses so the garage owner knows him, he aint rich!!!
the garage owner offered to buy it for...................£95.00
it`s a 1993 "L" reg
now i know that the black leather is worth more than that but my mate doesn`t (didn`t !)
there are a few chips and scratches on it but nothing serious, all of the paint looks original..... it`s an icon, a seriously good car
so can anyone tell me where to take it to get it sorted please ?
please!!!

·
Premium Member
6,814 Posts
Oil cooler is sunk in the block between the heads, when it goes it gives the impression of head gasket failure.

In all honesty H/G failure is a rare thing and i would check for oil cooler first.

Do a search for oil cooler failure here first, would put a fiver on it.

Oil in water is oil cooler, water in oil is head gasket.....that needs confirming.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, i had never heard that this engine was a bad un! so i can check the oil cooler..... right!
thanks mat

·
Premium Member
6,814 Posts
Engine not a bad un as you say, but as with all engines it has its little faults.

·
VxON`S VAMP
3,393 Posts

In all honesty H/G failure is a rare thing and i would check for oil cooler first.

Do a search for oil cooler failure here first, would put a fiver on it.

Agreed :Cool2: 9 times out of 10 it`s the oil cooler and not the heads on a V6 :Cool2:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts