Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I'm a noob to the forum and posts so i appologise if i do anything wrong :( . As my title says I have a 98 astra f c14nz which is my familys only car... i have 4 young children. The other morning my car refused to start. it was cranking ok but not firing and so far we have been unable to make her live again. I've re-charged the battery, replaced a worn dizzy cap and rotor arm. All the things we can think of and check and most of the sensors have been out and cleaned/ returned with no avail. The problem appears to be that way too much fuel is been pumped into the engine and flooding the spark plugs. My friend thinks my coolant temp sensor may have given up so im replacing it tomorrow in the hope that it will live again. has anyone had a similar problem before? this is my second astra with the NZ engine and the first time i've had to do anything to the engine asides from general maintainance. Car has done 89k with full service history if that helps?:think

All help is greatly appreciated and thanks in anticipation.

Dave

·
I refuse to grow up.
16,114 Posts
Check to see if you have a spark, used to see a few of these, usual problem was the crankshaft sensor, (fitted in the dizzy on these) or the coil.
Oh and if it is a 1998 it should have the X14NZ (exact same unit except a few bits n bobs were updated)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
never heared of the x14nz do you know what was updated or how i can check 100 what my exact engine is please? my mate checked the sensor and said its fine, got a really good spark with (had new dizzy since breaking and plugs only been in for 1200 miles) but everytime you crank it to start it puts way too much fuel in and floods everything which means plugs out and dried and injector casing etc off to dry it out before trying again.

·
I refuse to grow up.
16,114 Posts
Engine codes on yours should be stamped on the block mating face tab under number 4 cylinder. As for excess fuelling, if you turn the ignition on does the central fuel injecter spurt fuel out?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi, yes it does. My engine is a x14 not a c14 thanks. Been told my throttle body may be at fault but i wouldnt have a clue where to start. Latest update is that the ECU sensor was replaced (along with coolant) and we now have cylinder 2 trying to fire. the other 3 are still flooding and the CFI does spurt plenty of fuel out when i turn the ignition.

·
I refuse to grow up.
16,114 Posts
Ok I have known the central fuel injector stick open so it just keeps fuelling, unplug the injector and try it then, if it still squirts fuel, the injector is jammed open or the fuel pressure regulator is buggered.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi, Ended up getting a mobile mechanic to look at my car. He advanced my timing, adjusted the fit of my dizzy cap n rotor arm (apparently the ones i bought are cheap aftermarket parts) and found one of my spark plugs to be naff. He also said i have a small leak from my injector that causes it to run slightly rich at idle but makes no difference under load. he cleared a load of fault codes including one which said my car was stuck in 4WD mode (?)
Anyway it cost me £32 as well as the dizzy, rotor arm and ecu temperature control sensor (£25 for the lot)

Thanks for your advice. Looking forward to some griffin badged motoring now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts