Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Went to view a 2.5 V6 Omega and there was a loud buzzing noise (sort of a zzzzzzzzz) coming from the engine which speeded up and slowed down with the revs. I understand that the car had been stood for some time as the owner had to jump start it. Does anyone have any idea what it could be?

Any thoughts welcome :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
sorry for lack of technical details:

some of the smaller pipes at the font of the engine near the radiator can become soft and crack through age. i was told that these can make a buzzing noise and make the car sound louder than usual. (the pipes carry air or something)

·
Omega Tank Commander
7,722 Posts
More likely to be a rotating part with a failing/noisey bearing i.e. Alternator, aux belt tensioner pulley, cam belt idler etc

L

·
0 Posts
Welcome to the forum Ivorcally. :)

I hope this is VERY cheap?

As Mark (the boss) says, it is likely to be a failing bearing, most likely on the aux belt tensioner (not too bad) or the cam belt idler (very worrying don't drive anywhere!).

Even if the car has been standing for some time, it should not make noises like that...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the welcome and the helpful suggestions. The car isn't cheap, but I do like it. Maybe I should go back and listen again? It was loud and sounded external, but I suppose the cam belt is only behind a thin cover isn't it?

Cheers

·
Registered
434 Posts
Definately not a blow from one of the exhaust manifolds?? I've heard the passenger side is an engine out job!! Anyone - is this actually true or a scary urban legend??

Liam

·
Premium Member
1,294 Posts
if you have any doubts its probably best to look at some more, there are loads about so be very picky about what you buy, you dont want to buy one to find a massive bill looming.have you seen the buyers guide?

·
Omega Tank Commander
7,722 Posts
LiamPope said:
Definately not a blow from one of the exhaust manifolds?? I've heard the passenger side is an engine out job!! Anyone - is this actually true or a scary urban legend??

Liam
You can do the passenger side bank without removing the engine

·
Club Barge
3,467 Posts
Marks DTM Calib said:
Hello,

Does the head need to be removed in order to change this gasket, or can you get away with moving the majority of items out of the way, such as ABS modulator, etc?

James.

L

·
0 Posts
I would say, unless it is REALLY cheap, look elsewhere.
Plenty about, so be fussy. :)

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
According to the TIS - its engine out for the 2-4-6 bank exhaust manifold- although you can remove the cylinder head - much easier than removing the engine!
Marks DTM Calib said:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi,

Didn't buy the car in the end. Thanks for all your help. I am still looking for the right Omega, so will be on here more later :)

·
Omega Tank Commander
7,722 Posts
Geffd said:
According to the TIS - its engine out for the 2-4-6 bank exhaust manifold- although you can remove the cylinder head - much easier than removing the engine!
I use the trick of supporting the engine on a crane, removing the engine mounts and you can then move it the inch or so required to clear the manifold studs....

....its fiddly but by far the easiest method.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi.

I went back and bought the car in the end. Had the cambelt done and the noise was diagnosed to be the alternator.

I am delighted with the car - so comfortable and sure-footed :smile

Keith

T

·
0 Posts
andy8 said:
talking of insects.....well not really....i thought i had a mouse in the central air vents.....noticed a kinda scratching noise from them today

1 - 19 of 19 Posts