Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to remove the bump strips off my car so I can repaint the red down them (it has been rubbed away by the G3 I used) what is the best way to get them off? I heared they are simply glued on so a hairdryer would release them?

And also putting them back on? I have PVA, Superglue, No more nails etc.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I think they can just be peeled off, but a hair dryer may help.
From experience the strip sometimes irreversibly bends so great care is needed.
As for reattaching them you can buy double sided tape similar to sellotape but made of a foam material.They stock it in Halfords but it is cheaper in Wlkinsons, if there is one in your area.
Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
10,875 Posts
As for reattaching them you can buy double sided tape similar to sellotape but made of a foam material..
Called 3M tape, best get the genuine stuff and not a cheap knock-off, sticks like **** to a blanket. :Cool2:

·
Premium Member
6,551 Posts
First things first, don't even think about no more nails as it's not waterproof. I used Sikaflex for mine and they're still on after 6 months.

As for removing them, you need to be VERY careful as they bend very easily. A hairdryer is a must and I'd use a wide scraper to get them off, but it is very easy to scrape the paint on the doors whilst doing that.

To be honest, I'd never try taking them off a door that I'd want to keep.

·
Premium Member
12,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I gotta take them off, and put them back on so errrr wish me luck lol.

Theres enough scratches on the car as it is tbh, a few more will just keep the theme going :mmmm :lmao:

·
Premium Member
10,875 Posts
Hang on a sec...

Is there no such thing as like detailing tape... About 4mm wide by however long the rolls are, and stick that on, will be tricky, and take some patience, but, u can do it with the strips on the door still and u can scrub it off if it goes wrong. :Cool2:

·
Premium Member
12,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hang on a sec...

Is there no such thing as like detailing tape... About 4mm wide by however long the rolls are, and stick that on, will be tricky, and take some patience, but, u can do it with the strips on the door still and u can scrub it off if it goes wrong. :Cool2:
Yeah, but whenever I spray outdoors dust and insects land on the paint, I find it much easier spraying in the bathroom with some paper down and the extractor fan on

·
Premium Member
10,875 Posts
Erm... I'm saying u don't need to paint... I've seen someone with chrome detailing strips he stuck on a Jag to replace some funked chrome bits, just wondering if they do it in red...

·
Premium Member
12,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Have a day off Si... I already bought the paint now :crying_2: :lmao:

·
Premium Member
10,875 Posts
Have a day off Si... I already bought the paint now :crying_2: :lmao:
:lmao:

u're own fault for going ahead before consulting the almighty babbling Ghandi-man with totally random ideas...

·
Premium Member
10,875 Posts
My appologies oh great one :shame:

Accepted oh large one... :up:

Yes, I realise the connotations... and I don't care... OK!

·
Morris the Bullet Dodger
4,840 Posts
you can also use dechroming tape, which may be the same stuff as Si mentioned - I was looking to do the Black beemer a few years ago and there was some good stuff from america and it's weatherproof etc - i'll try to find the link for you

·
Premium Member
10,875 Posts
Can you get just the chrome strips off ? I've creased one of mine.Jerry
I think u can, yes, and get some of this chromey tapey stuff to replace it with... :Cool2:

·
Morris the Bullet Dodger
4,840 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Cool stuff, and it will stick like a ***** to anything?

Because the problem I have just realised is I have silicone all over my trim where I have Back 2 Blacked it :shake

·
Premium Member
10,875 Posts
Probably... use a tiny bit 1st to test...

1 - 20 of 37 Posts