Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like the V6's at least are gonna be stung for the top-whack £210 a year road tax (kicks in at 210gm/km, my 2.6v6 is at 276mg/km on the V5)

The Omega is becoming an expensive car to run :(

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Vivaro 2.0 CDTI Sportive, Mazda 6 Skyactiv
610 Posts
summat said:
Looks like the V6's at least are gonna be stung for the top-whack £210 a year road tax (kicks in at 210gm/km, my 2.6v6 is at 276mg/km on the V5)

where on the v5 does it state this?

·
Registered
28 Posts
danuk said:
So old stylee cars like a 1996 3.0 Omega (E.g. mine) will be unaffected?
Yep, us pre-2001 owners will only get a £5 hike on our road-tax. My way of looking at it is what damage the car does to the environment in day-to-day driving, we repay by keeping it out of the scrapyard :)

·
Omega Tank Commander
7,722 Posts
...depends how you look at it, our cars already exist, it takes one hell of a lot of energy and resources to make a car...

.....look at my Nova, costs me about 100 quid a year on Tax and it probably pollutes more than the Omega!

Plus the Omega is actualy VERY good at converting the fuel into energy, the latest units are only a few percent better at best.

·
Vivaro 2.0 CDTI Sportive, Mazda 6 Skyactiv
610 Posts
Timberwolf said:
Yep, us pre-2001 owners will only get a £5 hike on our road-tax. My way of looking at it is what damage the car does to the environment in day-to-day driving, we repay by keeping it out of the scrapyard :)
excellent, so my facelift 3.0 v6 can continue in harming the ozone layer as its a 2000 model!

·
CavWeb's Oldguy
4,816 Posts
Bit bloody sneaky that. Not announcing that all cars pre 2001 greater than 1554cc have a £5 road fund increase. Just letting it sneak out in the small print.

Oh that was a stupid thing to say. Of course Gordon Brown does it that way!

·
Omega Tank Commander
7,722 Posts
Hidden tax, I see we haven't payed this much tax since shortly after the war! (corrected for inflation).

Sneaky taxes, thats what I don't like and with masses of government inefficiencies everywhere

·
Registered
457 Posts
****ing Bastards!! Is all can say, hummm that prob will be bleeped...

These increases have nothing to do with the environment, just screwing middle class britian for yet more money.

A £100 nova 1.1 or Pug 405 Diesel will chuck out much much much more polution than my Omega, least i should only get the £5 increase being a 2000 model!

·
Registered
219 Posts
I'm just disappointed that the popular media directs it at 4x4's.....My 3.5 V6 Murano is actually less in vehicle excise duty than my 2.0 Omega.....I can't stand everyone bad mouthing 4x4's...So glad to see that this applies to all cars....

Now got that off my chest :) But what an half arse measure it is...Come on does anyone think that anyone spending 30-40-50-60k+ on a car really cares about that tine hike in prices? Hell it's less than half a tank of fuel....No if the government want to lead by example and show they are serious they should have made it thousands of pounds more expensive....Oh and abandon those jaguars as MP cars.....How many choose the prius over the jaguar again :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
summat said:

What do you mean 'becoming'? When was it cheap to run? Must have blinked and missed that one....

R

·
0 Posts
I can't comment because I get free car tax. Seems a bit rough though. Why not just put 80% tax on petrol. Oh no, hold on. Theyre doing that already!!!:spam

·
Omega Tank Commander
7,722 Posts
marktcom said:
****ing Bastards!! Is all can say, hummm that prob will be bleeped...

These increases have nothing to do with the environment, just screwing middle class britian for yet more money.

A £100 nova 1.1 or Pug 405 Diesel will chuck out much much much more polution than my Omega, least i should only get the £5 increase being a 2000 model!
No such thing as a 1.1 Nova.....

;)

·
Premium Member
634 Posts
Here's the ABD take on it:

Budget Transport Taxes Unfair to Rural Communities, Families, Motorcyclists and LPG Users

Chancellor Brown's latest budget, the ABD believes, misses the mark on transport taxation. The Chancellor claims to be backing green transport but his 2006 Budget delivers three blows to Britain's hardworking families, none of which will help the environment:

- An increase in the tax (VED) on family cars and rural utility 4x4s

- A increase in the tax on LPG

- An increase (rather than a decrease for this congestion-busting mode) on motorcycle tax

All of these tax increases are unacceptable in the context of the huge tax burned on motoring (£45bn) compared with the lamentable and inadequate spending on Transport (£8bn)

Vehicle Excise Duty

The Chancellor has increased Vehicle Excise Duty the tax on larger family cars. The VED increases of £25 and £45, starting at 185g.km, are a knee jerk response to a campaign of intimidation waged by the likes of Greenpeace against wealthy 4x4 users in cities. This in itself is unacceptable.

However, it gets worse because the increases catch out a large range of typical family transports, as well as penalising rural users of 4x4s who need them for towing and off road use. The new top "Gas Guzzler" band G, at £210 per year, includes three Skoda products, a 2 litre Astra and a VW Beetle Automatic (VCA website). Hardly supercars.

Ben Adams, the ABD's Environmental Spokesman said "This tax-hike does little except penalise family drivers, especially in rural areas. They are already hard-hit by the escalating cost of fuel, so they already pay more to run their cars. To make them pay even more is simply inequitable. It is also bad for safety, as these measures will encourage people to overload smaller vehicles that are not fit for purpose." Ben Adams continued: "The shift away from simple and effective fuel taxation towards excise duty is a futile trend. Unlike fuel taxation, VED bears no relation to usage. A large vehicle which is parked in an owner's drive all day whilst he catches the train to work uses far less fuel than a small car which does a high mileage, yet an increasing reliance on excise duty will penalise the former and reward the latter. Indeed, the owner of a less efficient vehicle could be forgiven for saying 'Well I've paid a high amount of tax already, I may as well drive to work'."

LPG

"The Chancellor actively encouraged drivers to switch to cleaner LPG in past budgets, but now their popularity has grown he is clawing his money back," says Mark McArthur-Christie, the ABD's Director of Policy. "Yet another increase in tax is a severe deterrent to switching to a greener, LPG-powered car."

Motorcycles

The ABD is also concerned that motorcycles have been subjected to a tax increase, rather than a decrease to reflect their potential for congestion-busting. The increase is relatively small, but the ABD believes Mr Brown should have taken the opportunity to decrease motorcycle tax. McArthur-Christie commented, "powered two-wheelers are a really effective way for people to travel cleanly and quickly, whilst using minimal road and parking space - we believe the government should recognise this with a tax break.'

1 - 18 of 18 Posts