·
Premium Member
5,763 Posts
Spifire for me- its the one I think of as the most British

·
Premium Member
570 Posts
http://www.concordesst.com/history/eh1.html#d

Before the signing of the treaty, BAC and Sud-Aviation had agreed in principle on how the work of developing and producing the airframe of the supersonic airliner should be shared between them. One of the companies' first tasks now was to convert this general understanding into a definitive agreement. They had to produce an acceptable and practical plan for enabling the design and production work to be broken down and allocated, on a 60-40 split to France and Britain. It took long meetings and much hard bargaining to agree on a manufacturing break-down but, in general, the division of responsibilities then formulated still holds good today.

The airframe work was divided 60-40 in favour of France because the balance of work on the engine was weighted in favour of Britain. By November, 1962, the engine selected for the Concorde, the supersonic version of the Bristol-Siddeley Olympus, was already being developed. Engines were in existence and running on the test-bed, and whatever adjustments might be made in the new programme to allow joint AngloFrench development of the Olympus 593, the British work content would be greater than the French.

·
Likes this.
11,301 Posts
Spitfire. I never tire of hearing that V12 Merlin whenever I see a Spitfire.

Just a shame there's not more still flying :(

Way ahead of its time and most certainly not a waste of public money, like Concorde was.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts