Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, i have a slight problem with my Vectra (b) estate. A few weeks ago, not long after buying the car, sometimes when i pressed the brake pedal it would not go down very far and there was a loud grinding noise and the pedal would vibrate. I took it to the garage and they said i need new brakes, so i had them done yesterday but today I was driving along and the same thing happened, the noise wasnt as harsh as it used to be but it was still there.

The problem isnt (wasnt) always there, its only sometimes it does it, the pedal only goes down a little bit, if i lift the pedal a few times it starts working again. Any suggestions? could this be connected to my ABS? as my abs light is on (as the abs ring on the drive shafts is worn)

·
I refuse to grow up.
16,114 Posts
Hmmm so the garage changed the brakes but said nothing about the ABS light? You can also get the stator rings seperate, just do a search on Ebay

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The garage told me about the abs light, it was showing before the car went in, i know its the abs ring but is that the reason why sometimes my brake pedal wont go down and i get a grinding noise?

·
Premium Member
13,088 Posts
i just bought 2 reluctor rings on ebay 10 quid each iirc,got some drive shafts off a guy on vvoc and the rings had rotted out on them,cost me a total of 50 quid for the lot

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for that, its been to 2 garages so far, 1 said I can replace the rings and 1 said i should replace the driveshafts (with the rings on), which should I do?

·
Premium Member
769 Posts
Rings. Whole driveshafts are expensive and if they are not clicking on tight turns then they are fine to keep.

It's a bit of work but if you can do it yourself, it is very satisfying to save some money.

Maybe someone here can tell you more on how or point you at a tutorial?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts