Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya guys,

I'm a new member to this site and wanted to ask a query about brake pads. I recently fitted some new front pads to my omega and only fitted the front right at this stage as I plan to do the other at the weekend (naughty I know). Anyways I was driving today and when I take corners there is on occassions a bit of squeal is this normal? The brakes seem to be working fine and no problems just the occassional squealing which I expect is the brakes pads binding a bit is this normal?

Would this subside as the pads wear and bed in???

R

·
0 Posts
Not really, no.

First of all, without meaning to patronise, you should never ever change just one side. It is highly dangerous and frankly stupid - no offense.

Lecture over, the pads can squeal if you use cheap and nasty ones or if you contaminated either the discs or pads. Than can be just a simple greasy finger print.

When you do the other side (Gawd 'elp us) clean the disc with brake cleaner and don't touch the surface with your hands. Re-do the other side and you might be ok, but if grease or contamination has got into the pore of the pads, then you will have to start again with another set of pads - for both sides.

Welcome to the forum as well. :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yer I know reason why I did it was cause it was fricken cold yesterday like -3 or summit so decided to finish it this weekend. I won't use the car that much anyways so should be ok, I'll consider myself told off though.

As for the noise it doesn't seem to do it when I apply the brakes it's more when I am driving. I think it's probably binding a bit which is more like the noise I am hearing, it only occurs now and again.

It's probably the first set of pads the cars had since new so was wondering if thing will settle down. Other than that the brakes seem fine, I have tested them and seems fine other than bit of bind.

Another thing should I have got a wear light popping up prior to them going?

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Could be the protecive metal cover, if bent slightly it will rub against the disk. If this is the case, all it needs is re-bending gently. Check elsewhere on these forums because this has already been raised before.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Giddo said:
Another thing should I have got a wear light popping up prior to them going?
Yes there is a warning light, and also the last bit of friction material has a rough feeling to it, so you would think that you are grinding the disks before you actually do (this is done on purpose). But these are emergency features and you should not wait for them come on. Also, in this case the problem is not the pads wearing down as it is that having dieffernt sets of pads on both sides could lead to un-balanced braking, and will probably drive the ABS computer nuts. Very unsafe to have two different sets on the front.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've only had the car few months so maybe I just missed it but never felt anything or had a light so very odd.

The reason I only did one was because I didn't want to risk having to replace the disc/rotor and needed to use the car so for the sake of 1 day I think I can get away with it. Problem was when I started doing it the snow started to freeze my hands and well at some point you have to finish off before I end up an icicle hehe.

I try and do the other tonight to make everyone happy ;-)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts