Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have just joined this site and I have a problem with the brakes on a 1997 Vauxhall vectra est. 2.5 V6. It has ABS with traction control. If I press the brake pedal down slowly with the engine running, then it will travel 3/4 of the way down. I have replaced the brake master cylinder and changed the fluid in all four wheels, with good pressure at all the bleed points. I have clamped off all four brake hoses and found that I have a good brake. If I remove both rear clamps then the pedal still stays up. But if I remove either of the front clamps then the pedal goes down futher. More futher with both clamps removed. I have checked the operation off all callipers and slides and also checked servo operation but still have this fault. Could the fault be in the ABS pump?:think

·
Premium Member
347 Posts
not sure really what your problem is from that explaination . the flexible pipes can buldge under pressure , the caliper piston seals can leak as can the nipple .

are you losing fluid or is braking just poor ? any abs light on ?

·
Premium Member
2,349 Posts
This sounds like the common problem with the ABS unit on the Vectras.

Mine did the same.

Have a look (and search) over on VVOC.com

It seems that the seals go on the abs unit after a while and you get exactly what is described. One possible solution is to get the brakes bled when using a Tech 2 unit to activate the ABS module - there is a tech bulletin somewhere on the Vaux TIS that suggests to try this.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Sounds similar to a problem I had on my Vectra. The ABS unit on mine was leaking fluid, so have a good check around it, I replaced the unit with one from the breakers, the cost of a new one was twice what I paid for the car:eh

Regards, Woodsy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.