Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This thread is split into two questions: first, my brakes are shocking. The braking power reminds me of a train, under emergencies, it simply does not slow down. I had a slight weeping from the clutch which helped bleed the brakes so it may or may not slow down. However, ever since the slave master cylinder had been changed, the brakes have worsened under emergency braking consistently. My ABS light turns on periodically before the slave master cylinder and after the change, but it's less frequent. Upon researching other forums, it's apparent that the behaviour I experience is normal and there's nothing that can be done to improve it (ie stripping and replacing the whole braking system or bleeding brakes).
My second question is how do I add cruise control to my Vectra since it was not added. I know that it's a factory option, however, I'm not sure what parts I need to make the cruise control operational.
Some of the parts I think is a new indicator, throttle body, clutch sensor and modify the ECU.

·
Premium Member
1,508 Posts
Brakes
Having owned a vectra b and now on a vectra c, I agree the brakes are less aggressive on the B however it passed the mot every year. I only ever had one issue and that was an abs ring which caused the system to chatter when braking hard.
Can you get it on a garage brake roller to test it? Will indicate if you have to start working on it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Brakes
Having owned a vectra b and now on a vectra c, I agree the brakes are less aggressive on the B however it passed the mot every year. I only ever had one issue and that was an abs ring which caused the system to chatter when braking hard.
Can you get it on a garage brake roller to test it? Will indicate if you have to start working on it.
When the clutch was changed in June, I had an MOT which the car passed. Every year, the car has always passed its MOT on brakes except for the ABS which no one could work out (they just left the light to go out).
I was thinking, I know the Astra G has very good ABS system and braking all round, should I change the ABS module of the Astra to the Vectra? But my engineering mind is thinking that Astra ABS module will make the braking performance worse since GM would not over-design the braking system of the Astra to handle the vectra and the incompatibility between car models and ECUs I'm assuming. I have read one case of someone who changed almost everything and still got the same performance in the brakes.
I was thinking of replacing the whole braking system, from the brake master cylinder to the ABS system, pipes, pads and rotors (anything relating to the braking system) for new parts. But I don't think it's worth it.
It's less hassle to buy a car with better braking performance.

·
Premium Member
521 Posts
Whats going to happen when you kill a load of people when a car pulls out in front of you, and the Police see that you've openly admitted on a public forum, that your brakes dont work properly?
Go to a 'Proper Mechanic' and pay him to sort your car out.
I honestly cant believe you are "Going to drive carefully ' because your just going to live with it !

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Whats going to happen when you kill a load of people when a car pulls out in front of you, and the Police see that you've openly admitted on a public forum, that your brakes dont work properly?
Go to a 'Proper Mechanic' and pay him to sort your car out.
I honestly can't believe you are "Going to drive carefully ' because your just going to live with it !
I would assume that having the car for three years and three sets of MOTs, the brakes have been tested and each time, the brakes have passed. My question to you is, why would GM design and put into production such an inferior product? I spend a fortune on the brakes, ranging from replacing all pads, rotors, breeding the system, checked the vacuum, master cylinder and replacing lines. Do you think I want my car to perform in its current condition? In addition, if you have read my post above, I'm looking at different solutions to improve the braking performance of the vehicle. I would recommend reading other forums of owners in the same predicament as me. they replaced everything and still the same performance. It seems to me that the design of the ABS, not the mechanical stopping power of the brakes is at fault. As I said, the braking under normal conditions is fine. When the ABS system kicks in under emergency braking, it struggles to brake.
I may look at rebleeding the brakes with a computer and see if that helps or look at junking it.

·
Premium Member
521 Posts
Your still admitting to having no brakes when you need to do an emergency stop.
Thats true, isn't it?
Yes !
Why are you still driving the car?
I'm not interested in other people or forums, or excuses.
Just answer this one question.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Your still admitting to having no brakes when you need to do an emergency stop.
Thats true, isn't it?
Yes !
I'm not interested in other people or forums, or excuses.
Just answer this one question.
It passed it's MOT

·
Premium Member
521 Posts
Answer the question!
And when the MOT Tester ignores the ABS light do you think that is normal behaviour?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Answer the question!
And when the MOT Tester ignores the ABS light do you think that is normal behaviour?
Give me a solution to improve the brakes instead of berating me!!! It's very easy to tell someone what's wrong whilst I was after some solutions to improve my vehicles performance.

·
Premium Member
521 Posts
I honestly have no answer.
I think its criminal to be driving a vehicle, that will not stop in an emergency.
I am appalled that an MOT station has passed the car when it was showing an ABS fault light.
Vectra B's would have been recalled for such a problem if it was normal.
It is not.
They are known not to have aggressive brakes but your car has a fault with the braking system as others have had. Its documented on the internet.

·
Premium Member
3,580 Posts
Actually all @Glow has said it that in his non-professional opinion his brakes do not work as he would expect, whereas a qualified MoT tester with approved testing equipment has certified that breaking is working within the legal requirements for safety. Not really fair to slate @Glow - but perhaps good advice to get the brakes tested independently by another garage.

Reactions: andy_v

·
Premium Member
521 Posts
Actually all @Glow has said it that in his non-professional opinion his brakes do not work as he would expect, whereas a qualified MoT tester with approved testing equipment has certified that breaking is working within the legal requirements for safety. Not really fair to slate @Glow - but perhaps good advice to get the brakes tested independently by another garage.
The MOT Tester has passed the car whilst the ABS fault light was illuminated. This is an absolute fail-end of !
This is not personal.
Would anyone on here use this car on the road ? Be honest.

·
16,456 Posts
The make of front pads can make a huge difference to braking performance. My car with genuine GM front pads is awful - it passes the MoT fine but I wasn't happy with it so put a new set of Freemax pads in and the braking was noticeably better. Gets expensive experimenting with brands so maybe some of the other members can give some helpful advice on their experience.

·
Premium Member
3,580 Posts
The MOT Tester has passed the car whilst the ABS fault light was illuminated. This is an absolute fail-end of !
This is not personal.
Would anyone on here use this car on the road ? Be honest.
Most of us here wouldn't drive on the road, but again, going back to the not-necessarily-technical-driver - the owner handbook doesn't make any recommendation about the ABS light staying on (Yes agreed, it IS an MoT fail). In fact the handbook goes on to say "The brake system remains operational without ABS regulation". Reading that, the non-savvy driver, might only know there is a danger if the MoT test fails because of it!
My point is a driver isn't necessarily competent to assess the risk - even if they dutifully read the handbook. The MoT tester is RESPONSIBLE though for not failing the car.

·
Premium Member
521 Posts
Most of us here wouldn't drive on the road, but again, going back to the not-necessarily-technical-driver - the owner handbook doesn't make any recommendation about the ABS light staying on (Yes agreed, it IS an MoT fail). In fact the handbook goes on to say "The brake system remains operational without ABS regulation". Reading that, the non-savvy driver, might only know there is a danger if the MoT test fails because of it!
My point is a driver isn't necessarily competent to assess the risk - even if they dutifully read the handbook. The MoT tester is RESPONSIBLE though for not failing the car.
But the Driver, in the first post, has said the car wont do an Emergency Stop ! The Brakes dont work properly, they just don't slow the car down, a bit like a Train?
I'll have to be a bit careful???
Why cant we all just use the facts that are here.
Will people still stick up for him when he wipes out a whole family because he couldn't stop his car ?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts