Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
22,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aye, as the title, my brake light bulb failure light is staying on for some reason.

Now i was under the impression that the only 2 reasons it would stay on, is if either or both the brake light bulbs had failed, or the switch had gone...but if it was the switch the brake lights wouldnt work anyway...but they are working fine, and the warning light is still on...has anyone eny ideas?

*This isnt really Calibra specific, so please dont move it.

·
Premium Member
17,488 Posts
That warning is also for the headlights IIRC, remember going through this conundrum, but didnt notice because the poor performance of the Calibra headligts, had a look round the car punched the light and hey presto back on and the light went out.

·
22,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That warning is also for the headlights IIRC, remember going through this conundrum, but didnt notice because the poor performance of the Calibra headligts, had a look round the car punched the light and hey presto back on and the light went out.
Without going and looking, im pretty sure there is a seperate warning bulb for the headlight bulbs though...its something else to check though Marc ta :)

The brake light warning stays illuminated from ignition until the brake pedal is pressed...im sure Vec B's have similar, but its on the computer screen.

·
Premium Member
17,488 Posts
The brake light warning stays illuminated from ignition until the brake pedal is pressed...im sure Vec B's have similar, but its on the computer screen.
Thats what its supposed to do!

OK, I am now confused are you saying that is what happens in yours or that your light is staying on throughout your whole journey?

·
Likes this.
10,836 Posts
On the Cavalier/Calibra check control the headlight/tail-light check bulb is seperate from the brake light check bulb.

Well, I'm 90% certain it is anyway. Got me thinking now :think :lmao:

·
Likes this.
10,836 Posts
No its not!
It doesnt matter which bulb fails, front or back, the same check light will come on
I know the headlights and tail lights are covered by the same "check" bulb - but I am pretty much certain that the BRAKE lights are covered by a different bulb.

·
15,300 Posts
Its the same one!
If its different, which light is it then?
I would imagine it would show up when you turn the ignition on to show that its working, as with all the other lights? :p

·
Likes this.
10,836 Posts
MOV - click this link

From memory I always thought the headlight and taillight indicator was the Bulb fourth from the left on the top left row of lights, and the brake light indicator was the one to the right of it (the one with the ( ) brackets round it).

But without a manual to confirm I'm struggling to say what's what I'm afraid :(

·
22,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
From memory I always thought the headlight and taillight indicator was the Bulb fourth from the left on the top left row of lights, and the brake light indicator was the one to the right of it (the one with the ( ) brackets round it).
Yes you are right Steve...that is dipped beam or tail-lamp bulb failure lamp...the one next to it is the brake lamp failure bulb.

·
Likes this.
10,836 Posts
Right, glad THAT bit's finally sorted and I wasn't going mental thinking there were two lights :lmao: :rolleyes:

Now back to the actual problem - does it do this ALL the time? Reason I ask is mine used to throw a wobbly sometimes after I'd opened the boot of my Cavalier, but would usually sort itself out after a restart of the engine.

Have you tried just re-seating the brake bulbs?

·
22,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Right, glad THAT bit's finally sorted and I wasn't going mental thinking there were two lights :lmao:

Now back to the actual problem - does it do this ALL the time? Reason I ask is mine used to throw a wobbly sometimes after I'd opened the boot of my Cavalier, but would usually sort itself out after a restart of the engine.

Have you tried just re-seating the brake bulbs?
:lmao: I started to wonder myself, thats why that link and my manual helped contain mine and your sanity ;)

It did it once about 2 weeks ago on the way to work, but had been fine since to about Friday last week, when it was staying on all the time...the only time it had done it before that was about a month back when a bulb actually failed (least i know it works like it should;)), and i replaced both bulbs, and it went out.

Now i've just been out and had a mess about...tried to locate the brake light switch, but couldn't and i cant go sticking my head up under the dash, as its not that easy when you are my height...the drivers seat has to come out for that :lmao:...but i did locate 'something' and messed about with it...now i know that isnt very technical, but it seems to have sorted the problem.

I will see how it goes...cheers for the help :)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts