Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m ashamed to make this confession...

My 11 year old van with 88k on clock has never had the brake fluid changed. I’ve got the kit and fluid. Had them for months. My problem is - I keep reading that people snap off the brake bleed nipples that have been shut for years. My questions are:

I) How likely are they to snap off??

(Highly likely, possibly,1/10, your best guess please...)

II) If they snap are they sealed so vehicle is still drivable??

My word the brakes are spongy so input appreciated as always!

·
Registered
188 Posts
If it was me I'd be wd40. The nipples every 2 days for a week or so to breakdown any rust or crud that's around the nipple . Very carefully give it a light tighten then slowly undo it . But guess you know this part . I'm scared to do my 06 plate as they look rusty . At end off day tho it's only a second hand caliper . May bee 20.00 if it goes pete tonge lol

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
188 Posts
I've seen someone in past pop out the piston in caliper and drain oil that way . Can't remember the exact reason . Looked strange and wiered way but ..........

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

·
16,187 Posts
If the nipple shears off it in my experience has always because I have kept trying to undo something that is obviously seized solid. I've always loosened any bleed nipple that is seized by heating it up with my blow lamp and then gently tapping it to and fro while spraying with some release fluid.
If it does shear the caliper will almost always be sealed.

·
Premium Member
Astra K 1.4t (150) auto SRI NAV
17,316 Posts
The father in laws Zaf B's brake nipple rounded off, rather than snapping when I changed the front pads & discs 3 years ago now. Although it was 8 years old at the time & the first time the nipple had been touched.

·
Registered
Z12XE / Z19DT / B16DTH
409 Posts
This is an old post but while I'm trawling on the subject of bleed nipples it may help someone in future (y)get a drill bit that fits inside the bleed nipple with as little play as possible then snap it off level so you can get a socket over it. Spray with Plus Gas or your favourite penetrating fluid, with socket over the nipple, tap the ratchet handle very gently as if you're trying to tighten the nipple then do the same tapping of the ratchet handle in the opposite direction. Finally try to loosen it with the socket, gently, the drill bit should help stop it twisting into itself and allow a little turn. When you get a slight turn, try a slight tighten the try to loosen and it should eventually free off.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts