Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts
i give up

the one reason i brought my meega it,s was cheap £600 it,s rusty/scratch,s all over the body /alloys well past they best /and frankly i couldn,t get it nicked lol :D .but i love the look on peeps faces when i sail past them on the motorway and they don,t have a cats chance in catching me..not that i speed of cause:bust: .and the V6 sound,s nice .yes it,s a bucket but it,s mine.i also own a passat 1.8 turbo nice car only shame about the dealers i get abit pissed off been blanked and ignored.:rolleyes:

Think an Omega is better than an old shape Vectra. Rust is caused by not applying wax/polish yearly to the paint work and cleaning the wheel arch area's. It sounds like it has not been looked after well! Also pulling steering, lousey brakes. This is just poor servicing on your part. My Omega has great brakes etc. and others on this Forum will tell you when set up correctly the steering is fine. Dont start disrespecting Omega's just cause yours needs TLC. (sorry this might sound harsh dont mean to affend)
Gunna take EXTREME exception to this post.
Why ?
It's utter guff.
I had a 2.5-TD CDX from 10K and 10 months old.
Never did I wash it without waxing or cleaning the arches.
And still, after five years there's rust SIMULTANEOUSLY in all the usual places - worst in the rear arch lips.
But also the windows, top-centre of windscreen, door bottoms, yadayadayadah.
All, but ALL Omegas pull - even when new.
The brakes ARE shi'ite (too wooden, too much pressure required).
When you've done 7 years and 300K, in 4 different Miggies, come back and tell me I'm wrong.

If you stuck with the Omega for 7 years and 300k then you must either be a glutton for punishment or perhaps your 4 Omega's had other qualities that kept you hooked. They can’t have been that bad if you had four of them in succession, lovingly washing and waxing their rusted wheel arches over those 7 long years. :shake
That said on a serious note I think the Omega is a bit of a mixed bag and I completely accept some of your views as regards the dreaded corrosion, the curse of these cars and the one thing that can really let them down. The bodywork and general paint quality can be poor considering it is a German built car. This is also my biggest gripe with them. Much of the really nasty rust is from the inside so external polishing can't help and repair is expensive panel replacement. The door panel below the window seal is a classic example. Not nearly good enough Mr Vauxhall. Even the late ones that are supposed to have galvanised panels are now starting to become inflicted. Mechanically however I find them generally very good although the only ones I have had have all been V6 models, and they have all been well maintained. Yes some servicing and mechanical repairs can be a bit of a pain with difficult access and neglect is often severely punished. This is not a good car if your on a tight budget.
As regards complaining about the brakes I simply don’t understand where you’re coming from. I find the brakes excellent, they are progressive and perfectly fine. At the Metropolitan Police driving school nobody complained about the Omega's brakes. They complained about plenty other things but not the brakes. Rubbish headlights were the biggest complaint even with the projector lights. On night drives everybody wanted the BMW 530's. I have never experienced a problem with an Omega pulling to the side, maybe I have just been lucky but I have driven dozens. I am not some Omega sycophant and would be the first to admit they are by no means perfect, but everybody is entitled to their own opinion. I can perfectly well understand the annoyance and frustration of the chap who started this thread it sounds like he really has got a pile of :turd on his hands. But I don’t think his experience is entirely typical.
This has truly been an amusing thread :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Anybody for a Signum ??? :Cool2:

Maybe it's only the 2.5 T-D's brakes that suck - dunno how much heavier than the petrols it is.
I've run 4 TD's because while they have questionnable anti-corrosion, they're incredibly robust, reliable and easily-maintained - a great car if you're on a tight budget. ;)
I'm amazed you've never noticed the pulling issue. But let's be clear about it .... it is more accurately, camber-sensitivity - because if you drive on the RHS of the road, it'll pull to the right rather than the left. And low-profile tyres (16" and over) makes it considerably worse.
Other niggles include uncomfortable, laterally-unsupportive seats, piss-poor driving position - and in the TD, heavy steering and really, a bit of a rubbish engine (slow, thirsty and moody at low revs).
But the low purchase outlay buys a lot of slack for forgiveness.
I would sir, also posit that the petrol and diesel are two different animals.

I'm on my second td 1st 40kto 185 94m with one rustbubble on rere passenger door (retired due to no hot start prob) 2nd 160-200k 95m no rust just change oil every 5k and fill with diesel. However i broke the sump on a boreen last week & had to rent a TDV6 discovery . 06 with 6k km it pulls side to side on camber just like the omega. its not as comfortable & I hate manuals in a slow car. But it pulled better & with air suss went over small policemen like they weren't there. same economy however. Glad to have omega back , sump glued together with snot.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.