Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

Boy, do these things rot!

2K views 25 replies 15 participants last post by  osealy 
Hello,

I find it suprising that it has rotted that badly. TBH, mine has some rot, but nothing to write home about.

The rear wheel arches, I have only ever seen one with serious rot in this area. The basic structure of the car is similar to the Carlton, but it rusts far less than the Carlton.

Mine is going on all the doors, at the bottom, but I am replacing those within the next couple of weeks.

My arches are solid, and are likely to stay that way, judging by the amount I clean the car, and amount of waxoyl I have applied.

Their a car you need to look after though, keep clean and touch up the factory rust proofing once in a while, a common misconception is that modern cars don't rust, unfortunately, they do :).

The body panels are pretty substantial as well, IMHO, certainly as thick as the metal used on my XJ40, and that's no way wafer thin. It's a lot better built than the Rover 800's I used to own.

James

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.