Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

Boy, do these things rot!

2K views 25 replies 15 participants last post by  osealy 
#1 ·
Had two Vectras, put huge mileages on them both. Fantastic and durable.

Not so the Omega. Jeez, they rot for fun. Front wheel arches where there is no liner - rusted to hell along seams. Rear wheel arches - corroded on the lip. Bottom of doors. Top of door panels at window seals.... there seems to be no paint on them. And the body panels are wafer thin...

Rattles, crappy vague steering, ponderous gearchange, lousey brakes, steering pull. Not exactly Opel's best attempt.

And this is a low miler, one owner, 6YO car.

Vectra please...

Discussion starter · #4 ·
I didn't buy the car - it was my late Father-in-Laws. I am shocked at how poorly made they are compared with my recent experience of two Vectras.
The car has a full Vaux SH. Not that that means anything as I am finding out. Someone (RIP) has been ripped off to some tune. The number of broken fasteners, missing brackets and poorly routed pipes is testimony. Truly appalling. And at £55 per hour to boot.

And quite how they MOTd the car last time with a huge gash in the exhaust manifold is beyond me. Another job for tomorrow. How many studs will break??

It's not so much the mechanical side I despair at - most of it is common with the Vectras I owned. They are just unpleasant to drive. You can't drive them with any real briskness. The brakes are dead, the steering is like a rudder. You have to give the 'box notice to change. They wobble over bumps and are restless to boot. This isn't helped by the wonkers at the dealership changing the front wishbone bushes and tightening them up with the wheels hanging....and there is sodall leg room for the driver with that huge trans tunnel....

And it's rotting in front of me. It makes FIATs look hardy.

Discussion starter · #15 ·
Well, you take as you find. My example is not what I would call a good car. It has been cossetted from new. And stuff leaving the forum... must be rot envy.

Just replaced the exhaust manifold this evening - Vauxhall Dealer also snapped the left most stud off previously - and FIL had had a bill for £768 which included "replacing manifold gasket". Yeah? ******.

Back to the rust proofing..... and tracing the 1000 rattles and creaks.

As someone else has suggested, I think it will be fix it up and flog....sharpish.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.