Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

Boy, do these things rot!

2K views 25 replies 15 participants last post by  osealy 
I think you've been a little unlucky with your Omega to have rust in all the usually places simultaneously. But I have to admit they are let down somewhat by mediocre build quality as regards paint and corrosion protection. Better then the Senator but still not nearly good enough.
As for a Vectra, well let’s just say I wouldn’t walk past a Passat to get to one of them.

If you stuck with the Omega for 7 years and 300k then you must either be a glutton for punishment or perhaps your 4 Omega's had other qualities that kept you hooked. They can’t have been that bad if you had four of them in succession, lovingly washing and waxing their rusted wheel arches over those 7 long years. :shake
That said on a serious note I think the Omega is a bit of a mixed bag and I completely accept some of your views as regards the dreaded corrosion, the curse of these cars and the one thing that can really let them down. The bodywork and general paint quality can be poor considering it is a German built car. This is also my biggest gripe with them. Much of the really nasty rust is from the inside so external polishing can't help and repair is expensive panel replacement. The door panel below the window seal is a classic example. Not nearly good enough Mr Vauxhall. Even the late ones that are supposed to have galvanised panels are now starting to become inflicted. Mechanically however I find them generally very good although the only ones I have had have all been V6 models, and they have all been well maintained. Yes some servicing and mechanical repairs can be a bit of a pain with difficult access and neglect is often severely punished. This is not a good car if your on a tight budget.
As regards complaining about the brakes I simply don’t understand where you’re coming from. I find the brakes excellent, they are progressive and perfectly fine. At the Metropolitan Police driving school nobody complained about the Omega's brakes. They complained about plenty other things but not the brakes. Rubbish headlights were the biggest complaint even with the projector lights. On night drives everybody wanted the BMW 530's. I have never experienced a problem with an Omega pulling to the side, maybe I have just been lucky but I have driven dozens. I am not some Omega sycophant and would be the first to admit they are by no means perfect, but everybody is entitled to their own opinion. I can perfectly well understand the annoyance and frustration of the chap who started this thread it sounds like he really has got a pile of :turd on his hands. But I don’t think his experience is entirely typical.
This has truly been an amusing thread :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Anybody for a Signum ??? :Cool2:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.