Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

1997 corsa X14XE Engine.

Took car to garage today as it's been mis-firing recently etc.

Their diagnostics couldn't communicate with my cars ECU so they didn't charge etc and they recommended another garage.

Went to pick it up and went to start it, just constant whining and turning over but no spark, when i put foot on the revs though, it would kick it but was constantly banging in the engine! and second i let go of ignition, it would instantly just cut out and die.

So both me and the mechanic (know fairly well) said he'll roll it back in and inspect it.

Just had a call saying that theres ZERO compression on cylinder4 and the spark plug in that cylinder is absolutely smashed to bits

Other than being f****d what does this indicate? Bottom end failure or timing belt slip or other?

Cheers

·
Premium Member
13,088 Posts
if the plugs mashed the piston has hit it,gudgion pin broke in the con rod would be my guess,as said by chris,need's striping to find out whats happend.

·
Premium Member
1,739 Posts
He mentioned that it may have been a con-rod given way
Given-way... ...that's a technical term I presume. If he means it's detached from either end or bent, I should think it's an engine stripdown - if the engine is worth stripping after a detached or bent conrod! They usually end up escaping out of the side of the engine.

As for the marks on all four pistons, sounds like the problem is more than one cylinder. What sort of marks?

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry just the way i say it.

Basically detached yes.

Mentioned (far as im aware) chipped slightly on the flat part of the piston.

Well i've been wanting to change the engine anyway so think it's probably the right time to start it now, just i need a garage! lol

Im hoping to have a chance and take the head off tomoz anyway to have a looksie.

·
VXon Frontera Monkey
9,886 Posts
Hi it sounds more like you have had something let go in the inlet manifold - this has then passed into each cylinder and has damaged the plugs and piston crowns - if the head is off cheak the valves - you could get away with it and polish the crowns - replace the plugs and fit a new valve if its a bit of valve that did the damage
cheers
Steve

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.