Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Chief Dreamer
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i purchased a new cav sri 8v a couple of days ago as a project over the winter,the problem is i cant open the bonnet the bonnet catch isnt broken,it looks like the bonnet has been sat on on the front and squashed down a bit.i have purchased a brand new bonnet, bonnet lifter`s,catches.how can i get it open,i was going to prise it open but dont want to break the gsi grill on it any ideas please.thanks.willie:D

·
Chief Dreamer
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Get someone to push down on the bonnet while you pull the release cable
i will try that mate i got someone to try puling it up but no joy.it just makes a clicking noise like its trying to release.when i pull on the catch.

if that dosent work ill try this....:jason2:

·
Registered
29 Posts
had the same problem myself. The cable gets a bit stretchy. Someone must push down on the bonnet whilst you pull the lever. Once opened I tied a piece of rope to the spring and hid it in the grill when not in use. When I need to open the bonnet I dig around for the rope and give it a good tug to one side!

·
Chief Dreamer
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
had the same problem myself. The cable gets a bit stretchy. Someone must push down on the bonnet whilst you pull the lever. Once opened I tied a piece of rope to the spring and hid it in the grill when not in use. When I need to open the bonnet I dig around for the rope and give it a good tug to one side!
wil try that,my wifes renault megane coupe is like that u have to put your hand undeneath to release the bonnet by puling on the broken cable :lmao:

·
Registered
41 Posts
yeah get some one to push down, when you have it open you can adjust the spring on the bonnet 19mm spanner if i remeber loosen the bolt a bit and keep trying until it works right. only takes 5 mins to do, i just had to do it for my new cally and now it fine.

·
Premium Member
2,524 Posts
Bet way I could find is to simply undo the clip that holds down the cable near the spring that holds down the bonnet and pull the cable along a little so the cable is tighter cos its further away!

·
I Eat Speed
666 Posts
Have this problem with my cav as well.

Solution? Open door fully, one hand pulls the lever, the other hits the bonnet. Gonna get it sorted one day but it works for now i suppose. How does one go about tightening the cable anyway, i've never really looked at it

·
Premium Member
2,524 Posts
As above kneo, there is a clip that holds the cable just to the right of the hole that the bonnet spring goes into...unscrew the clip a little and slide the bonnet release cord along a bit then retighten...tada!

·
Chief Dreamer
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks for the info,got it open now by pushing down on it.cheers guys.

willie:Cool2: :Cool2:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.