Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
8v Power!
10,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, well it's not been a good week for me...
Just topped up the old oil on the cav and under heavy acceleration I seem to have blue smoke thrown out of the exhaust...

So... too much oil? Piston rings? or something else I havent thought of yet...

HELP!!

·
8v Power!
10,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do they come as part of a head set?

·
8v Power!
10,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I haven't no.
I have a bag of them though from my old headset I used on the C18NZ this 18Se replaced.

Going to try some Stop Leak in there first to see if that clears things up.

·
There is no replacement for displacement
2,175 Posts
If it's your valve seals then stop leak wont work. I've heard you can get a tool which you feed in through the spark plug hole which allows you to remove the valve collets without having the valve disappear into the head, meaning you can do the valve seals with relatively little effort (ie without removing the head!).

I've never used one though, so can't say how effective they are?

·
8v Power!
10,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So effectively its a head off job?

·
Premium Member
1,623 Posts
If you have a compressor, you can get an air line attachment that fits into the spark plug hole, as long as the valves are closed, the compressed air keeps the valves up.

If you don't have the tools, it will be a head off job to replace the Valve Seals.

What is the mileage of the engine?

·
Premium Member
12,918 Posts
May aswell take the head off Gaz and change the gaskets, could be a chance to see about gegrinding the valves in whilst you're at it, if they need it.

I've just changed the stem seals on an XE head, pain of a job because 16 to do and I had to use the cylinder type spring compressor... absolute piss of a job an 8v though with the seat type compressor!

The thing is though, if it's only under heavy acceleration, I'd have thought that's more of a case for piston rings?

·
8v Power!
10,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you have a compressor, you can get an air line attachment that fits into the spark plug hole, as long as the valves are closed, the compressed air keeps the valves up.

If you don't have the tools, it will be a head off job to replace the Valve Seals.

What is the mileage of the engine?
Mileage on the engine is probably around 80 thousand now.
No compressors to speak of.

May aswell take the head off Gaz and change the gaskets, could be a chance to see about gegrinding the valves in whilst you're at it, if they need it.

I've just changed the stem seals on an XE head, pain of a job because 16 to do and I had to use the cylinder type spring compressor... absolute piss of a job an 8v though with the seat type compressor!

The thing is though, if it's only under heavy acceleration, I'd have thought that's more of a case for piston rings?
Everyone else says it would be rings if it was all the time?

·
Premium Member
12,918 Posts
I just know that we had a Mk2 Cav once that chugged out blue smoke when you put your foot down. When we took that engine apart it was the piston rings which were shot.

IIRC Alex's M6 has a similar issue, piston rings gone, but from what he was saying it was only smokey on the heavy throttle?

·
8v Power!
10,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Will see when it comes to bits I guess?

·
8v Power!
10,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yep :Cool2:
No looking forward to it really :( don't have the time / money to be messing on with a partcial engine rebuild right now :eh:shame:

·
8v Power!
10,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Why not do a full compression test. That should tell you if it is rings or stem seals?
Don't know how to do one :(
I and TDISte have removed the inlet manifold to see if anything could be seen in there.

Pics to follow.

thats right mate

think i,d be leaving it , time to save up for a veccy me thinks :D
Nope.

·
8v Power!
10,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Click to enlarge. 2 of 4 ports are sooted up a bit on the reverse side of the vavle head.

Port 4

Port 3

Port2

Port 1

·
Registered
434 Posts
Go back to basics first Gary:

Excess oil in the manifold / inlet assembly? (I guess you know this already if it's off)

Did you overfill it earlier?

When you filled it did you spill any oil anywhere?

Are you sure it's oil smoke, as I remember you still have fuel / misfire issues.

If it was me the first thing I would do is sort out any outstanding electrical gremlins. If you have a minor ring or stem seal problem it probably won't be the source of your oil smoke. You should be able to get the engine running right before you need to pull it apart to sort seals or piston rings.

As I remember 8 valve engines are pretty easy for a head rebuild really and rings are very possible in the car although that's always a bit of a daunting one.

Good luck!

·
8v Power!
10,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Cheers for that.

May have overfilled very slightly.
But aye, theres a slight miss on port 1 (which has been suggested it's a air leak issue as theres evidence of such on the number 1 plug, but others are fine??)

Any advice is welcome :)

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.