Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

We had the unfortunate bad luck of the head gasket going on our Astra 1.8 auto on Thursday. It failed to start twice then on third attempt, fired up, only for a cloud of smoke and dirt come out the exhaust.

We limped home, opened the bonnet and oil and water were gushing out. :cry:

As its a W reg, is it worth fixing and how much approx would this be?

TIA

Susie and DH

·
Administrator
28,313 Posts
Its not a massive job to change the headgasket but it could be an idea to get the cambelt and rollers done while the head is off. I would say it should cost about £400 with parts from a garage (its around £90 for a cambelt and roller kit from a Motor factors) but you if you supplied the gasket and Cambelt kit yourself and got a mobile mechanic out you should be able to knock a £100 to £150 off. You can get quite cheap gaskets and Cambelt kits off ebay so I would look there.

·
Premium Member
1,435 Posts
Hi All

We had the unfortunate bad luck of the head gasket going on our Astra 1.8 auto on Thursday. It failed to start twice then on third attempt, fired up, only for a cloud of smoke and dirt come out the exhaust.

We limped home, opened the bonnet and oil and water were gushing out. :cry:

As its a W reg, is it worth fixing and how much approx would this be?

TIA

Susie and DH

not too bad to fix ,
but if you decided against it, i,m looking for a astra auto !!!

where are you ?

·
Registered
8 Posts
It's all very well people saying 'it's not so bad to fix' but driving around with the head gasket breached could lead to significant engine damage. It's just gone on mine and I ain't shifting that car til I've booked her in. Drove it for three days after original smoke burst, no real decline in oil or coolant but still worried about cylinder damage. My beast has only done 50,000 miles too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.