Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an old blaupunkt stereo which I took out of my 1998 Cavalier. I am trying to put it into my 2000 Corsa but I don't know what all the wire colours are. Can anyone help, please?

I have - red, two yellows, white, black, brown, brown with green stripe, two brown with yellow stripe, two brown with blue stripe, brown with white stripe, green, red with white stripe, two blue, grey with green stripe, blue with red stripe and one thicker brown wire.

I tried plugging a "ready to go" stereo in which worked fine but stopped my speedo from working.

Thanks

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sorry to put this back up but I'd even take an educated guess at this stage! I phoned Blaupunkt and they said that they didn't have the information because the unit was a Vauxhall fitted "part" and not a retail unit.

I presume the "pairs" are for the speakers - I'm pretty certain that the black is ground. Any other guesses?!

Cheers

·
Premium Member
2,349 Posts
Oh and if you want to try your "ready to go" radio again, disconnect the blue wire with the red stripe at the back of the loom and see if that cures your speedo problem :beer:

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There seems to be two blue/ red stripe wires (which go into the wiring block/ plug which is sticking out of the car i.e not the block/ plug attached to the radio)- is this right? They go into a single female pin in the same genral area of the block as the power/ earth cables.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,349 Posts
Pass - I know one will be for the MFD/TID/Fuel computer if it has one and one might be a feed to/from the dash.

As long as its not connected to the radio its worth a test.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Excellent! The speedo problem is now cured.

Unfortunately, I have noticed another problem! When I plug the radio in, the small time/ date/ temperature display on my dashboard goes funny. The time and temperature displays stay on permanently even when I take the keys out of the ignition. But....the date disappears entirely, even with the engine running. When I take the radio out, everything goes back to normal.

Are there any other wires I could disconnect?! There are 4 brown ones that go into the "top" part of the plug one with a red stripe, one with blue, one with white and one with grey. Do they do anything important?

Thanks
Jim

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Last attempt!! I have now snipped every single wire at the car-end plug except for:

A thick red and a thin red both going into one pin - presumably ignition
A thick brown and a thin brown both going into one pin - presumably ground
A single red going into one pin- presumably battery

I've still got the problem of the dashboard display coming on when I plug the radio in - and I'm running out of wires to snip!!

Can anyone help, please?

I'm tempted to snip the battery wire in the hope that the dash display won't come on until I turn the ignition on. However, will that mean I have to re-set the radio code every time I turn it on?

Incidentally, does anyone know a good gynaecologist who can reconnect all of these wires I've just snipped !!

Jim

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.