Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car is a Vectra 1.9 cdti SRi.

I'm about the ask a local garage to blank off the EGR and fix the swirl pot bar which has fallen off. Apparently this needs fixing in place. I have a few questions though - even after searching and reading these forums.

What are the differences between a blanking plate with a hole in it and a solid one?

What do I need to buy to fix the swirl pot issue?

Can I turn off the engine light when done?

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
If you use a full blanking plate this will completely block any recirculated gas ijnto the manifold but the ECU will detect it and flag an error message for insufficient flow so you would have to get the EGR remapped to completely remove the error message. A partial blank will still let some gases through so will not flag insufficient flow and no need for remap of the EGR.

HTH

·
Premium Member
3,580 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Look at EGR cheaters.
The light will clear when the fault goes away. The fault will still be stored until it is cleared with an appropriate code reader, opcom etc.

·
Premium Member
3,580 Posts
I don't see the point of a cheater when the partial blank doesn't need it. See my other posts of EGR (partial) blanking. For me the performance boost and better mpg I got makes it a no brain-er.

·
Registered
57 Posts
The partial one will/does still block the swirlvalves and the system. The complete blanking is fit and forget, making an enormous difference to both power and MPG over a longer period. Assuming the valves were cleaned at the same time, they will remain spotless.

As somebody suggested, leave the OEM EGR in place and just fit the cheater, it will remain closed, no gundge and no lights.

The electric EGR (2.0 Dti) will also still have problems with the gears and cams with a partial blank anyway, so not maintenance free at all.

·
Premium Member
3,580 Posts
Well, I fitted my partial blank nearly 4 years ago and everything including the swirl flaps still work perfectly.
An inspection after the partial had been in for about 2 years revealed absolutely no sign of soot accumulation in the EGR or the inlet manifold.
As I've said, I only fitted the partial blank to the down-pipe, and not the one between the EGR and the inlet manifold. Whether not fitting that has any relation to swirl-flap problems, I've no idea.

Reactions: andy_v

·
Registered
112 Posts
totally removed egr system including cooler ( as the pipe split ) and blanked at manifold. remap to suit
also removed swirlflp system and used kit to blank off holes...just left motor bolted on the head and plugged in...2 year later still running as good as ever.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts