Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So for no reason what so ever the van was dead when we came to drive it just 10 minutes after we had drove it after loading my kit in it at a job one night about 3 weeks ago, immobiliser light flashing but everything else was dead. After about 15 minutes it kicked into life and all was well for a few day then the OH goes to get in the alarm goes off but the doors are locked (the alarm is quiet and won't switch off) eventually we get the alarm to shut up but the van is dead again (opens now but won't start) then it won't lock...eventually starts we take it to a garage, they can't do anything but give us the number to a diagnostic fella. Anyhow it runs fine for a week then it locks him out on a car park. Call the diagnostics block the next day he says it's the BCM and says it's got loads of faults but they are cleared and gives us an error code DF038 says replace the BCU/BCM and give this bloke a call to reprogram the new one.
Anyhow the bloke said the BCU/BCM was down by the accelerator peddle yeah...no...it's up under the steering column right?
We can't get at it and don't know what the part is to replace it with so here I am asking you lovely lot?As we are not technically minded and the garage refuse to remove the steering column to get to it because we don't have the part ...how do we sort this catch 22...we aren't technically minded enough to remove the steering wheel and rack and air bags and bumf.
I mean I paint faces for gods sake not fix cars!
Please help

·
Premium Member
3,184 Posts
Hi there well it sounds like a right mess, for a start i will tell you, if the immobilizer light is flashing that means the immobilizer is armed, and while that light is flashing there is no way on earth the engine will start...but if your not technically minded your gonna have to seek out someone who can look at it for you....i might be inclined to disconnect the battery overnight and try it again the next morning, that's an easy thing to do,,,,otherwise fitting new BCM isn't an easy job, it involves reprogramming a lot of stuff, for which you need the right equipment,.no doubt someone will come up o here and advise you further....good luck from Fred in Essex.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah we have found someone that will reprogram one, it's getting one. How do we get one when we don't know how to get to the old one let alone get it off to get the guy to reprogram it and then get it refitted. We need two sets of people at the same time and a part we don't know what it is. I am in pain in my heart and head with it. If anyone one knows any neat tricks how to get to it without taking the steering column off please speak now :D

·
Worn Out Member
6,430 Posts
If this is the Vivaro/Traffic you need to remove the instrument panel to get at the BCM,the Vauxhall fitting guide says you need to adjust the column to it's highest setting and remove the steering cowling to improve access to the instrument

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If this is the Vivaro/Traffic you need to remove the instrument panel to get at the BCM,the Vauxhall fitting guide says you need to adjust the column to it's highest setting and remove the steering cowling to improve access to the instrument
and is this possible without removing the steering wheel/rack please? if so could you possibly provide further instructions maybe possibly please ?

·
Worn Out Member
6,430 Posts
Just to confirm,what year is the traffic ?
I may be able to sort some instructions for the Vivaro A in the morning for you,but there's no mention of removing the steering wheel or rack.
I don't go anywhere near Vivaro's if i can help it but i'm sure there will be others on here that have replaced a bcm on one before

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just to confirm,what year is the traffic ?
I may be able to sort some instructions for the Vivaro A in the morning for you,but there's no mention of removing the steering wheel or rack.
I don't go anywhere near Vivaro's if i can help it but i'm sure there will be others on here that have replaced a bcm on one before
don't blame you everything is held on with rivets. and Thank you that would be great :)

·
93 Carlton 2.0 Diamond Estate, 06 Vivaro 1.9 CDTi
1,136 Posts
You do really have to remove the steering column, but not the rack, to get to the rivet you have to drill out to get the BCM off.
You could try removing the clocks and steering column shroud then undoing the steering column top mounting and letting it lay back and see if you have enough room, nothing lost as you have to take all this off anyway!
I did see on here, that there are company's that now repair the BCM's so you don't have to have them reprogrammed etc.
The main cause of problems with BCM's is with water/liquid being spilled and running inside the dash onto it?

·
Worn Out Member
6,430 Posts
I've sent some instructions via pm

Reactions: KerryCarousel

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, new to the forum. I was hoping to find out the answer to accessing the BCM without removing steering column. I’ve removed the plastic covers around the steering column, which gives a glimpse of the BCM, but not enough room to get to it. Is it possible to remove the plastic cover underneath the ones I’ve already removed around the steering column? In doing so, will that allow me to reach the BCM? Any help much appreciated. Just can believe it’s designed to be so hard to get to! Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
Reason to want to get access to the BCM is to visibly check for signs of dirt/damp that may be causing a problem. This was suggested as the main cause an ‘immobiliser bypass‘, bought from a company online, isn’t working when plugged into the diagnostic plug. I’ve managed to get in around the BCM to have a look. It’s had a plastic sheet cover it to shield it from dashboard liquid spills, and looks dry and clean. So I’m wondering what else may be affecting the Failed connection of the bypass device. I’ve checked the fuse for the diagnostic/immobiliser. Wiring around the BCM looks sound. Any ideas much appreciated. I’m a complete novice to vehicle electrics and the van (2006) is new to me and unfamiliar. Fed up of an intermittent problem with the immobiliser preventing me starting. Don’t know when or where it will happen next. Just know it’s not going away.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Hi Dave. Have read of wiring problems causing this. The wiring may look ok at the BCM end but my money would be on further upstream, close to the ECU. If you google hard you may find the thread where someone lists the wire colour involved.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Here is an example - the dreaded blue plug. Aaaargh!

·
Registered
325 Posts
And again:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for suggestions And the links Courageous351.
shall investigate that next, if I can get to the dreaded blue plug 😳
couldn't see a wiring picture from the first link, so I’ll try messaging the discussion owner to see if he has one. Some time ago though.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Yeah I know I saw something about wiring ecu to bcm but can't find it right now. In any case the blue plug seems to be the cause of a few issues so worth a look. You know where to find it?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts