Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have some trouble with my 2010 2.0T Insignia. Recently i get some errors with the airbag system, park help system and lots more. Sometimes they show and other times they don't. Also the center display will flicker and none of the tail and headlight will work. My automatic trunk won't respond either. I have studied a bit and think it might be a wire grounding issue with the BCM. Anybody know where i can locate this wire? I have looked around in my car, and can't find any grounding point which is loose.

I have taken it to the local dealer, but they could only erase the current faults, and couldn't see what was wrong.

·
Premium Member
3,580 Posts
A list of the diagnostic fault codes present might be helpful...
Where did you come across the 'grounding issue'?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I get no errors codes, only a lot of messages that the airbag, parkhelp and some more system needs service. Then sometimes the display flickers and othertimes it turns off and on and do the self-control again only to give either the same messages or some new ones.
I have also seen it starting like normal, but then in a short period of time it will give problems again.

My brother has a friend who's a mechanic and said that they have often come upon these issues with cars, where the grounding somewhere was loose. But i am not sure if the BCM has a single ground wire somewhere or if the are spread out in the car, if so then i just need to find the needle in the haystack... Or maybe some other groundwire.

·
Premium Member
3,184 Posts
Have you tried taking the plugs off the BCM seeing if there dry and not corroded etc...i think Brown wires on a Vauxhall are usually Ground...could be tight but still not making a good connection...Fred in Essex.

·
Premium Member
15,101 Posts
Do you a aftermarket phone kit fitted.. i have seen these plumbed into the cars Can bus wires and cause all sorts of strange things to happen.. failing that pull the BCM out and open it up and have a good look at the circuit board, i have replaced a few of these due to blown components on the board.
Did the dealer try doing a software update.

·
Super Moderator
27,235 Posts
Do you a aftermarket phone kit fitted.. i have seen these plumbed into the cars Can bus wires and cause all sorts of strange things to happen.. failing that pull the BCM out and open it up and have a good look at the circuit board, i have replaced a few of these due to blown components on the board.
Did the dealer try doing a software update.
That's not good Andyl :(

·
Premium Member
3,580 Posts
I can't recall any posts or issues I've had relating specifically to 'grounding faults' on these cars. It may be a fault, but usually more general as Fred says with corroded plugs/sockets on the modules. OTH, on the supply side, I have seen a fault that does cause cause multiple odd faults - the smaller second cable from the battery + terminal can be loose. The thick cable only carries the starter motor current, all the rest of the electrics go through the thinner cable.
Likewise, a failing alternator can chuck-up a myriad of odd faults - while still passing the basic battery/charging testers.

Reactions: Fred Bassett

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I do not have an aftermarket phone connected to the car, but i will try to unplug the BCM and check the wires. And i checked the battery cables, but it does not seem to be loose, i will make sure that it has no corrosion also and write again.

Thanks for all the fast anwsers!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have now checked the battery and the little wire for corrosion but i found nothing. Also i have not been able to unplug the BCM because it sits inside the car behind the fusebox in the driver side. There is no water or condense water in there.

I have taken some pictures of what it does when i turn on the ignition. Sry it is in my own language, but i hope it is understandable. (I have the ignition on in all of the picture, also in the one where it has turned off.)

There is nothing wrong with the engine, it starts and run smoothly and also no problem with the automatic gearbox.

Also when i turn on the ignition i get the airbag error, but then i turn on the car and the rest of the error pop up quickly. My automatic trunk doesn't work at all anymore.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,580 Posts
Diagnostic codes might help to localise the fault cause. Yes, it seems BCM related, but the why and where isn't possible to know or guess without diags.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I finally got to print out the error codes of the car. Most of the errors i can see is caused by lost communication, and the one with open circuit to the liftgate (B396A) is my own fault and it works after i connected it again. Also the rear fog light is probably a broken bulb, i haven't checked that one yet.

I was able to clear out all but the airbag (SDM) errors, without them reappearing. I was able to drive the car yesterday to work without errors (but the airbag) but when i had to drive home all the errors were back. Today i got to drive home without any errors, and i haven't gotten them back after deleting them.

Any ideas?

Also my passengerseat heating ain't working, i get the error B2430 (Passenger Seat Cushion Heating, High resistance, permanent). It ain,t in the printout i've shown, because i haven't forced the error since last DTC deleting, and i forgot before these.

And many thanks for the help so far :)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
15,101 Posts
I would start by unplugging the SDM and then clear all the codes and see what comes back, it may be the SDM has failed internally and is pulling the Can Bus system down causing all the 'No Comms' errors.

·
Premium Member
3,580 Posts
Did you find the fault with this I have a very similar fault.
Do you have a list of Diagnostic Error codes? The fault may be similar, but the cause(s) different:(
When you have a list of the diag codes, clear them all down and see which come back immediately and/or over time.

Reactions: Fred Bassett

·
Registered
Opel Insignia Country Tourer 2.0 CDTI BiTurbo 4X4
3 Posts
Hey!
Have problems with the electricity in the car, like all possible error codes come up in the display just like the previous post. airbag, parking assistance out of order, anti-theft, aptive shock absorbers, etc., etc., no meters such as fuel speed, etc. work or work to and from. The problem comes and goes and as right as it is, the car can not start, there is a theft barrier or something like that and it just clicks, sometimes it helps to disconnect the battery but sometimes not. Is sometimes dead a couple of days ago, it works again. Have tried to change the bcm unit but the same hassle. Maybe I think if it's a ground fault, cable break or something else that gives me these phenomena? Have had it means workshop a couple of times, partly when the car does not show symptoms and then no error codes are displayed and when it crashes there are lots of error codes but no one knows what to do about it.

Where do i begin?

·
Super Moderator
27,235 Posts
Hey!
Have problems with the electricity in the car, like all possible error codes come up in the display just like the previous post. airbag, parking assistance out of order, anti-theft, aptive shock absorbers, etc., etc., no meters such as fuel speed, etc. work or work to and from. The problem comes and goes and as right as it is, the car can not start, there is a theft barrier or something like that and it just clicks, sometimes it helps to disconnect the battery but sometimes not. Is sometimes dead a couple of days ago, it works again. Have tried to change the bcm unit but the same hassle. Maybe I think if it's a ground fault, cable break or something else that gives me these phenomena? Have had it means workshop a couple of times, partly when the car does not show symptoms and then no error codes are displayed and when it crashes there are lots of error codes but no one knows what to do about it.

Where do i begin?
The original poster never got back to us with an answer sadly 😞

1 - 19 of 19 Posts