Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

So got a 2006 Vivaro about a month back. This week the battery was dead after not using the van for 4 days. Bought a new battery and have been keeping an eye on the voltage which was at 12.6 when installed. After 24 hours is was down to 12.53 and this morning now down to 12.48, so clearly something is drawing power.

It does not have any after market equipment so all standard and everything is switched off. So is there anything common on these van's that would cause the voltage drop. Also anyone know what is an acceptable amount of voltage drop in milliamps of circuits when it's all off as cause I will be checking the voltage across each fuse.

Thanks

·
Registered
232 Posts
Of course the immobiliser draws some power. Common items for me would be a parasitic drain from the radio (over and above its standby draw) and occasionally the door closure doesn't knock out the interior lights. Let us know how you get on with the fuses.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Of course the immobiliser draws some power. Common items for me would be a parasitic drain from the radio (over and above its standby draw and occasionally the door closure doesn't knock out the interior lights. Let us know how you get on with the fuses.
Thanks. Interior light is off but guess could be the switch for the door still drawing power.

·
Premium Member
767 Posts
Radio good call. Also start pulling fuses for certain ancillary circuits overnight to try to narrow it down.

Unlikely to be something like a switch, I'd be more inclined to say you have a wiring fault or sticking relay somewhere which might be leaving something on like a glow plug or a fan.

Also worth doing a hunt for non standard cabling as there might be a tracker or some other non standard gear hidden somewhere that has gone faulty.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input. I would have thought most of the relays were powers off when the ignition is switched off but what do I know lol.

hopefully I can find the fault easily with my multimeter.Guess I might be best to get an amp clamp and start unplugging as see the result.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Hi All

So got a 2006 Vivaro about a month back. This week the battery was dead after not using the van for 4 days. Bought a new battery and have been keeping an eye on the voltage which was at 12.6 when installed. After 24 hours is was down to 12.53 and this morning now down to 12.48, so clearly something is drawing power.

It does not have any after market equipment so all standard and everything is switched off. So is there anything common on these van's that would cause the voltage drop. Also anyone know what is an acceptable amount of voltage drop in milliamps of circuits when it's all off as cause I will be checking the voltage across each fuse.

Thanks
Articles like:
Measuring State-of-charge - Battery University
suggest that 12.53V after 24 hours is near still fully charged. Temperature has an effect on cell voltage.

I would like to know more about the old battery. Does it take a charge? When fully charged how long with it light say headlamps or other known load?

It could be that the old battery had failed?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Articles like:
Measuring State-of-charge - Battery University
suggest that 12.53V after 24 hours is near still fully charged. Temperature has an effect on cell voltage.

I would like to know more about the old battery. Does it take a charge? When fully charged how long with it light say headlamps or other known load?

It could be that the old battery had failed?
Hi Mike

The old battery shows 10.89v and when put on a battery charger it just says 100% As I did not know the age of the battery I was happy to replace for peace of mind.

The van is a camper conversion and has a cheap split charge relay ehich sees to be an open circuit so have removed the fuse but guessing this has caused some of the original issue with the old battery.

Interestingly the van was used quite a bit yesterday putting the alternator putting out a good 14.4v. When I checked the battery last night after around 4 hours of resting the voltage was 12.79v and this morning 12.68v. Guessing it was still settling after use.

·
Registered
153 Posts
What is the old battery voltage when put on the charger?

From what you have said already the old battery is u/s perhaps with a faulty / open circuit cell.

A terminal voltage of 12.6V on a battery does suggest it is fully charged. It's notoriously difficult to diagnose current drain from voltage readings.

·
Registered
232 Posts
What is the old battery voltage when put on the charger?

From what you have said already the old battery is u/s perhaps with a faulty / open circuit cell.

A terminal voltage of 12.6V on a battery does suggest it is fully charged. It's notoriously difficult to diagnose current drain from voltage readings.
Quite right Mike. Drop tests were at one time the only real test (other than to put a known load on for set times and chart the voltage. Nowadays these so called intelligent testers fare much better IMHO.

·
Registered
232 Posts
The van is a camper conversion and has a cheap split charge relay ehich sees to be an open circuit so have removed the fuse but guessing this has caused some of the original issue with the old battery.
I made up a 240v system in my van for the kids to play movies on a tv and playstation for long drives to Spain and used a cheap split charge relay. In my case it seems to have taken out the leisure battery not the starter one.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I did someone fitted a kill switch as he battery always went flat in his vivaro 🤣

I was wondering if may be the alternator diode is letting it back out although I would have thought it would go flat quicker.
Not sure if this is right but can test when the engine is running using a multimeter set to ac. Should not get any reading apparently and if you do the diode pack is faulty. anyone else heard of this?

·
Registered
153 Posts
I was wondering if may be the alternator diode is letting it back out although I would have thought it would go flat quicker.
As a general rule 2 diodes would have had to fail for there to be a leakage current path in the alternator. Even with one diode faulty I doubt the battery voltage would get to the healthy 14.4V as the OP indicates he has seen.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I get a feeling this one is going to be a tough nut to crack. I have an amp clamp due to help me out today but from the readings I have been getting the problem at present seems to be overnight!! So the van has been parked up since Sunday early PM and not used, I have checked the voltages many times since then and it only seems to be dropping somewhere between 8pm and 7am

Sunday 8pm 12.75v
Monday 7AM 12.64v
Monday 2pm 12.64v
Monday 7pm 12.64v
Tuesday 8am 12.57v
Tuesday 2pm 12.57v

So if it leave it and don't continue to sue the van tomorrow it should be around 12.50v

·
Registered
232 Posts
12.5 is ok still. There will always be a little reduction in voltage. Where it ends is the crunch. Get some drain readings. You had no luck with the fuses?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I agree 12.5 is ok but if left any longer than 3 days then it's not too good. I was hoping it would be a constant draw to I can then test across the fuses but as I seem to have no power drop during the day at present I don't think I am going to find much.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I'd be inclined to put the drops you are experiencing day/night down to diurnal temperature changes. Batteries prefer warmer temps. Can't imagine the time of day triggering a circuit unless the resident mouse reads at night.......

·
Worn Out Member
6,161 Posts
When you take the readings after being left overnight,are you allowing time for any systems that have been woken up by unlocking the van to settle and power off completely before taking the readings ?

·
Registered
232 Posts
When you take the readings after being left overnight,are you allowing time for any systems that have been woken up by unlocking the van to settle and power off completely before taking the readings ?
And the interior lights of course - good thinking!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
LOL, would easier it was a mouse reading. But it still means the van needs to be user to charge after only 3-4 days judging by those readings?

Not allowing ant time as just opening the passenger door and taking the reading. If that was the case then I would think the readings would be down each time I unlock the vans and I check then relock each time.

·
Registered
232 Posts
LOL, would easier it was a mouse reading. But it still means the van needs to be user to charge after only 3-4 days judging by those readings?

Not allowing ant time as just opening the passenger door and taking the reading. If that was the case then I would think the readings would be down each time I unlock the vans and I check then relock each time.
Not exactly, load a battery and the voltage drops, rest it and it will recover.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts