Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My battery keeps draining overnight and is now struggling to start
I put a volt meter across the +terminal wire and the battery +connection terminal
the reading I got was 12.5 volts this reading was with ignition on AND off would the best way to trace the leak be keep the volt meter connected then take each fuse out one at a time or is there an easier way to trace the leak any help would be really really helpfu
l

·
Premium Member
31,460 Posts
What model Cavalier do you have.?

Leak.? Is your alternator belt still in place? Volts should be higher when charging. Any warning lights on the dash?

·
Banned
14,579 Posts
Volts stay constant across the battery lol you need to put the meter inline with the battery and set it on 10A

C

·
0 Posts
The way you described it the engine wasn't running. So it is running, and you're getting 12.5?

·
Hi-de-hi campers!
452 Posts
Is your interior light going out in the boot when closed, mine sometimes stays on, bit of knackered wiring from the switch on mine i think

C

·
0 Posts
After you've just started it, the alternator will need to replace the power you've just taken out, so be up to 14-14.5 volts. If it isn't doing this sounds like the battery is never getting topped back up.
Still don't know if this is with the engine running though.

C

·
0 Posts
I'd get the battery drop tested. How old is it?
Maybe the cold weather has found it out.

·
Premium Member
1,511 Posts
johnnyc said:
I put the volt meter inline but it still reads 12.5 volts:eh
It will do as Andy m says you need to set your meter on the amps (current) setting,not volts and start pulling fuses until you get no reading

1 - 14 of 14 Posts