Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a 2010 Insignia demo model. Have it a couple of weeks. It is pulling to the left on most roads. If I let go of the wheel briefly on the motorway it shoots across the lane !

The guys in the garage checked it over - did the tracking, balanced wheels, checked suspension, bushels etc but they found no problems. They even took it for a test drive (apparently) and said it was fine.
But its not. Its not even slightly improved. Anybody have any experience with this ?

·
Premium Member
769 Posts
Could have been in a smash. I would take it to a tyre place for a recheck.

Afterthought - are all your tyres the same brand and model? I have had a difference between 2 front tyres (same size and profile but different makes) that caused this many years ago. One was about 1cm more rounded in the middle than the other!

Make sure the 2 front ones are exactly the same at least.

·
Premium Member
853 Posts
Of course most cars will require some steering input to the right simply because of the camber of the road slopes to the left. If you let go of most cars steering wheels they would steer to the left just because of the road drainage camber. Ultra low profile (plus large diameter and wide) tyres by any chance?

·
Yawn.
2016 Focus ST-3 & 2020 Puma ST-LineX
13,808 Posts
Take it to a GOOD 4-wheel laser alignment place, and get it checked but not rectified if it is out
Then, if they are out, get the results and take them back to Vauxhall and get them to get it sorted under warranty.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Of course most cars will require some steering input to the right simply because of the camber of the road slopes to the left. If you let go of most cars steering wheels they would steer to the left just because of the road drainage camber. Ultra low profile (plus large diameter and wide) tyres by any chance?
True, they are 18" and wide. Not ultra low profiles. Brought it back to the garage today and one of their Wheel Men took me out for a drive in it and explained about the road camber. I still think it is a bit too much. I had 17" low profiles on the last car and they didn't pull. The steering seems a bit light in the insignia anyway so maybe I am feeling it a bit more. Thanks for your response.

·
Registered
5 Posts
hi there i bought the elite 18 months ago and had exactly the same issue i have the19inch alloys and it pulls to the left i took it straight back and and was told this was normal,however when i insisted it should be looked at it was laser tracked and all wheels rebalanced and it still came back the same i then drove the demo which was the same model and wheels as mine and that was exactley the same so i have learned to live with it

·
Registered
6 Posts
My Insignia doesn't pull whatsoever, regardless of road camber or conditions. But I have experienced similar symptoms with a different car. Between a possible 'kerbing' or a severe pot-holing, my previous problem was down to a bent tie rod. Virtually invisible to the naked eye, but enough to pull the vehicle to the left regardless of alignment check and balancing. I have to say the alignment check didn't find the problem, it was an astute mechanic who'd seen it before and identified the bent rod. New one fitted and pulling all cured.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've found this thread very interesting.
I drive a 2011 Insignia hatch with 18 in wheels and recently had 2 new tyres fitted to the front. Before this was done I was experiencing no steering problems whatsoever. As soon as I left the fitting centre I noticed the steering wheel was slightly offset to the right when the car was travelling straight ahead. When the tyres were fitted, the car was jacked up at 3 corners so the OSF wheel could be moved to the rear as the tyre on it had more tread than the NSR. I had the steering geometry checked on 4-wheel alignment kit and slight adjustment was made to the front wheels, but the problem still persists and the guy who did the check was at a loss as to why. I did notice that the report I was given showed values for rear wheel settings, but no tolerances, so it isn't possible to tell if the rear wheels require any adjustment which I know can be done.
I have a couple of questions if anyone can help...
Is it possible that the jacking of my car at 3 corners (2 front and 1 rear) has caused damage a rear suspension component which is now affecting the steering?
Does anyone know what the rear wheel settings for my model/year are in order to tell if any adjustment is actually required?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts