Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...according to a pre-budget 'leak', there's going to be a new top-rate of road tax of around £200. It will cover all vehicles emitting over 250g CO2 / km.

The logbook of my 2.2 omega says it emits 243g, so I'm guessing that it will affect all 6-cylinder vauxhalls.

Is it just me or do they want us all driving poxy 1-litre euro shopping trolleys? :grrr

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Sorry, same thing again but without the typos (I am not good with fast typing):

This is absurd... it's only £40 a year more, do they really think that anyone contemplating a new V8 Jag or 6.0L A8 really cares about this kind of money??? It will serve only one purpose, and this is to put-off used car buyers from buying big older cars, meaning that they will get scrapped much sooner than they otherwise would have, increasing waste and landfills... Why are they pushing us towards this 'throw-away' society? I would be very happy maintaining my Omega for the next 10 years, but it will probably become scrap much sooner because the car devaluates so much while labour rates are so high that you end-up scrapping an otherwise good car because its is 'uneconomical' to repair. I used to do some work in Africa, you should see them running 35 years old lorries in mines, not to mention private vehicles, everything is being repaired and made to run forever - very little is wasted

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree - it is absurd.

I think its partly a nod to the anti-SUV mob, and also to extact yet more cash out of the motorist.

·
Registered
434 Posts
It serves no more purpose than to screw us for cash, no benefit with regards to reducing emissions etc. whatsoever. They are simply using it as an excuse. If they really want to make an impact then they should totally ban the manufacture or import of any vehicle that falls outside the limits.
Vehicles currently on the road that are currently above the desired figures would ,given time, dissapear.

I did warn friends years ago that the labour government for all its good intentions would tax us stupid.

Glad to see you all had such a good time on Saturday. Its a wonder the neighbors didnt call the cops in:lmao: .

eddie

T

·
0 Posts
I agree....if its only £30-£40 more.....its not going to stop people buying things like Range Rovers. I walked thro the car park of my local sports centre this morning....enroute to some woods with my dog. Locals bring their kids to play football there on a Sun morning....i saw 2 new Range Rovers and even a Hummer.......yeah rite u need a vehicle like that to bring little Jimmy to football!

The other daft thing is I get £50 discount on road tax for my Veccy dual fuel....thats fair enuf.....but for my Omega coz it wasnt vx converted to lpg I can only get £5 discount....its hardly worth filling the form out to get a fiver discount! Not really a government incentive for getting a car converted and doing my bit for the enviroment (oh and my pocket of course)

I'll get off my soap box now :smile

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
helterskelter said:
It serves no more purpose than to screw us for cash, no benefit with regards to reducing emissions etc. whatsoever. They are simply using it as an excuse. If they really want to make an impact then they should totally ban the manufacture or import of any vehicle that falls outside the limits.
Vehicles currently on the road that are currently above the desired figures would ,given time, dissapear.

I did warn friends years ago that the labour government for all its good intentions would tax us stupid.

Glad to see you all had such a good time on Saturday. Its a wonder the neighbors didnt call the cops in:lmao: .

eddie

8 Omega's outside Mark DTM's house? The neighbors tought these were the cops. Early-dawn raid by the Flying Squad? Poor Mark - neighbors probably giving him the 'look' now.

·
Premium Member
657 Posts
nah, they probably thought the cops were getting their cars sorted out before an early-dawn raid! :lmao:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts