Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

Awful Noise When Turning...

1K views 15 replies 5 participants last post by  kweilo 
#1 ·
This isn't a good year for the Cav. After replacing the alternator and the exhaust (full replacement :( ) my ears are ringing.

I drove from Essex to the Lake District and back this week, as well as Essex to Bradford this weekend.

The problem?

Whenever I turn the steering wheel to the right, at speed (above 25mph normally) I have a horrible grating / crunching sound. I don't think I can feel this through the steering wheel.

Being pretty stuffed to get the car home from Bradford, I carried on driving. I'm fairly certain the crunching has developed a nasty whining sound as well.

My thoughts so far are; CV joint or wheel bearing.

Any ideas guys?

#4 ·
I had a brief look under the car when the noise started, but couldn't see anything obvious. Shall have to check that again.

It is really weird; I drove up to Bradford fine, but then driving back, it literally started almost immediately.

I'll have to get it jacked tomorrow and have a look around at the radial arms as well then.

No clicking and it definately doesn't sound like a low rumble either.

Cheers guys :)

#5 ·
Did you renew the rubber for the exhaust hangers? could have picked somethingup in the brake disc plate too. had that..

#8 ·
Anti-Roll Bar

Well, got it up on a jack just now.

The anti-roll bar connects to the lower suspension arm with a bolt / bush arrangement.

Except it doesn't on the right hand side anymore - the bolt has disappeared, along with the bush.

The noise I can hear is being caused by the (now loose) anti-roll bar scraping against the axle...

Am I now going to have to replace the entire anti-roll bar, or can I just replace the bolt / bush arrangement on the end?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.