Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This isn't a good year for the Cav. After replacing the alternator and the exhaust (full replacement :( ) my ears are ringing.

I drove from Essex to the Lake District and back this week, as well as Essex to Bradford this weekend.

The problem?

Whenever I turn the steering wheel to the right, at speed (above 25mph normally) I have a horrible grating / crunching sound. I don't think I can feel this through the steering wheel.

Being pretty stuffed to get the car home from Bradford, I carried on driving. I'm fairly certain the crunching has developed a nasty whining sound as well.

My thoughts so far are; CV joint or wheel bearing.

Any ideas guys?

·
Ex Cav driver
721 Posts
Check your o/s track rod / radial arm joints!

If your CV joint was the problem you would normally hear a clicking noise on turning and wheel barings normally produce a rumbling noise.

·
Premium Member
2,998 Posts
If you've just had the exhaust changed it could well be the exhaust moving when cornering and touching somthing (heatshield ect) You'd be suprised at the noise this can make.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had a brief look under the car when the noise started, but couldn't see anything obvious. Shall have to check that again.

It is really weird; I drove up to Bradford fine, but then driving back, it literally started almost immediately.

I'll have to get it jacked tomorrow and have a look around at the radial arms as well then.

No clicking and it definately doesn't sound like a low rumble either.

Cheers guys :)

·
8v Power!
10,748 Posts
Did you renew the rubber for the exhaust hangers? could have picked somethingup in the brake disc plate too. had that..

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The hangers seemed to be fine to me, so I didn't bother replacing them.

Braking doesn't seem any different to normal, nor do I get any weird noises, even when braking whilst turning.

·
VxOn's Nissan Advocate
1,324 Posts
i know you said you couldnt feel it in the steering, but a look at the joint at the bottom of the steering colunm might be worth a look. seen them go T*ts up before.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Anti-Roll Bar

Well, got it up on a jack just now.

The anti-roll bar connects to the lower suspension arm with a bolt / bush arrangement.

Except it doesn't on the right hand side anymore - the bolt has disappeared, along with the bush.

The noise I can hear is being caused by the (now loose) anti-roll bar scraping against the axle...

Am I now going to have to replace the entire anti-roll bar, or can I just replace the bolt / bush arrangement on the end?

·
VxOn's Nissan Advocate
1,324 Posts
common problem mate, buy 2 and do the other one too if you havent already. theyre cheep as fook and easy to change.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That was for two; need to get back on the road tonight so I'd rather pay now and get it sorted. If I had more time, I'd probably spend more time looking.

·
VxOn's Nissan Advocate
1,324 Posts
That was for two; need to get back on the road tonight so I'd rather pay now and get it sorted. If I had more time, I'd probably spend more time looking.
ah well, needs must and all that. at least you got to the route of your prob quickly!!:Cool2:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sorted :D

Tell ya what though, getting the linkage off was a bloody nightmare; the damn nut felt as if it was welded onto the thread!

Fitting the new linkage must've taken about 5 minutes though, which is damn good :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts